PDA

View Full Version : How do I prepare for this photographic opportunity?

Cheryl Flory
11-13-2008, 08:19 AM
I have just located a falconer and a couple of raptor rehabilitators within a relatively short distance. I have been invited to have a tour of the facilities of the non-releasable raptors. And I will later be able to watch the falconer club fly their hawks/falcons. How do I get the best images with my equipment? I have a Canon 40D with only two lenses: the Canon 28-135 IS, and the Sigma 50-500.

I think most of the non-releaseable raptors will be indoors (but am not sure). And of course the falcons/hawks will be flying outside and the typical winter Michigan weather is heavy overcast skies.

So what do you suggest for those two situation?? After talking to the people last night, in two of the 3 situations, I will not have much time to photograph, so I will need to be prepared ahead of time in regards to settings etc.

(Al, should I have posted this question somewhere else? )

Thanks!
Cheryl

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Fine here Cheryl :) If you wish it could also go in General Photography Discussion

For portraits you will be fine with your lenses. Whey you use the shorter focal length remember you have lots of dof so keep an eye on the bg. With the longer camera shake will be a problem, do use a tripod or monopod. If neither can be used try supporting on any surface available .... in that case let me know and will post a couple of suggestions.

For settings it should not be a problem just adjust the ISO to a reasonable level. I would go with Av and adjust. The one thing I see will be difficult is any flight since those birds are fast and the Sigma is not the greatest in AF speed. By using center point and smooth tracking and sure you can get some images !!

Lot of the raptor places will move birds around for you so don't hesitate to ask since it will help with bg and light !!! Can't wait to see what you come up with !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Missed the BIF homework Cheryl, but would it help you to practice on other birds near your home first?

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 10:36 AM
....... forgot do take a flash with you !!! Probably at -2 to throw out a hint of light and create a catch light.

denise ippolito
11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Cheryl, Good Luck I think the most important thing to take w/ you is self-confidence,you can do this-just don't get intimidated by the situation, like Alfred said ask them to move the birds around,I think this is a fantastic opp. I'm so jealous! Anxious to see what you get!!!!

Cheryl Flory
11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Missed the BIF homework Cheryl, but would it help you to practice on other birds near your home first?

Jackie, that would be extremely helpful, but not even sparrows around here! haven't even seen the squirrels lately either. I guess since they cleaned up all the black walnuts I had drying in the driveway, they aren't visiting any more.

Cheryl Flory
11-13-2008, 11:38 AM
....... forgot do take a flash with you !!! Probably at -2 to throw out a hint of light and create a catch light.

Al, I have only the on-camera flash and the sync speed is 1/250". That will work for non-flight pics. But will that be fast enough for BIF pics?

The first opportunity will be with the educational birds (healed but not releasable) so they will be closer and if flying it will be short flilghts.

I hope to be able to go out with a couple of falconers sometime soon. If that doesn't work out, I will have to wait until January 31 when the state wide club meets. (My question is why, oh why, plan an event like this in the dead of Michigan winter!?!?!?!?!)

Cheryl Flory
11-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Denise, the center I will be visiting next week will pose birds for me, I think. The second place will not without "a considerable charge". yikes. And apparently, there is some competitive atmosphere between the two places. oh oh.

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Cheryl try obtaining info on the flight patter If they come close try your shorter lens? If you need to use your Sigma pre focus and try picking up the bird as it becomes sharp.

Flash wise you can use the in camera for close portraits, anything far save the battery !!

Cheryl Flory
11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
OK, Thanks, Al!