PDA

View Full Version : Beauty within the beast

Michael Lloyd
11-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Personally I have a love hate thing going on with wind power. I don't like the way that the "fans" clutter the landscape but I am fascinated by the technology. I took a detour last night and found a place where I could get ridiculously close to a huge wind farm near Abilene, TX. Literally in the middle of it. The full moon provided a light source and the wind did a nice job of posing the subject in such a way that I could get the shot that I wanted. To put that last sentence in context, I've been in the area before but the wind was always blowing from a direction that oriented the "fans" away from the camera.

The "fan" is rotating at 6 RPM. I varied the shutter speed between 6 and 10 seconds. i wanted to capture a full rotation and achieve some definition of the blades. I managed to get what I wanted (see how the blades made a cross at the center?)

(Caveat) I'm traveling so this is edited on my laptop. I try not to do much to my images because the screen isn't very good. So... if the color is off or something else seems like it's not right I'll look at it when I get home next week and repost if possible. Thanks for stopping by...

PS- For the astrologers in the viewing audience- I think the "fan" was in Sagittarius setting... whatever that means

EOS 1DsMKII
14mm f2.8L II

Exposure = 10 second
f2.8
ISO = 400

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Interesting Michael I like the perspective and you came up with the right speed !! No clue what the Sagittarius setting is? Debating between giving more space to the towers behind or blocking altogether !!! Very creative !!

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Michael,
I looked at a few crops........and recommend taking some off the right.........so the row of fans makes a nice line....and then some off the left...to a vert........a this would IMO improve over the square presentation. You know I love the night and you have excellent detail in the stars. The motion of the main fan is excellent also! I like your creativity on this one..............so if you get a chance............try it with a 1/2 or 1/4 moon....for different effects on the tower. Still nicely done!

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Agree with Roman on the right crop. Nicely creative image. I like it.