PDA

View Full Version : Fort Point Lighthouse - Stockton Springs, Maine

Michael Pancier
11-13-2008, 12:41 AM
It was chilly when I got to this lighthouse in Stockton Springs, Maine. Not one of the most popular lights, but a beautiful one. The park was not open but I sneaked in anyway.

I had to use Nik Color Effect Pro and Nik Viveza to bring out the colors. The AWB really is a detriment in these early morning shots. Hence my warming up the colors.

The tilt shift lens again saved the day. (This lens is essential - you weren't kidding Robert). I was positioned on the bottom of the hill and just tilted up.

5d + 24mm tilt shift lens.
1/50
f/20
ISO 200
-1Ev

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 12:01 PM
HI Mike the more I look the more I want less at the bottom I like the light play and shadows Overall has an excellent feel !! Doing well with your new lens !!!

denise ippolito
11-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Michael, I'm interested in getting a tilt shift lens-I shoot w/ Canon .How would you rate this lens?Is it easy or hard to get used to?

Michael Pancier
11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Michael, I'm interested in getting a tilt shift lens-I shoot w/ Canon .How would you rate this lens?Is it easy or hard to get used to?

other than having to focus manually, it's a breeze. I've not used the tilt mode on it though; only been using the shift (up down) mode. You can rotate the lens and have it shift left to right as well which is great for panos.

it has to be used on a tripod. I have a RRS pano head and once that's balanced I put the camera/lens on and shift as appropriate.

denise ippolito
11-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Thankyou for the follow-up

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Michael,
I like Alfred's idea of the crop off the bottom.....making the fence come out of the LR ..........just above the bottom. The color of the dark blue looks off to me.........almost like a super P (polariser) effect.....even though I am partial to that..........it just seems a bit too un-natural. The lighting is nice and the fence makes a very strong leading line. I've never been to that one!

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Denise the tilt feature of the lens will allow you to control dof !!! Works well for doing flower.

Can look up view camera movements to have a better idea, works just like it except the movements are limited !!!

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Tilt-shifts are nice Michael. I think you meant Shift and not Tilt in your post above.

Agree with Roman on the UL - too dark. Image looks like you gave it the Orton effect. I like it. Also agree on the crop suggestion.