PDA

View Full Version : Tricolor in the surf

Bob Blanchard
11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Captured the other day up at Fort Desoto. While there were plenty of birds there, the light was far from optimal. Moderate cloud cover. Decided to go with the 600 and 580ex with BB to deal with the lack of light. Even though I really just captured this Tricolor while I was waiting on a group of shorebirds to wander across my path, I liked this image when I looked at it in PP. I realize Tricolors are about as common as can be, but they're still a nice bird. The wave in the BG just appeals to me, even though it may distract a bit from the bird.

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4L, 1/640, f/4, +2/3 EV, ISO 200, 580 flash with Better Beamer -1 EV
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/415980454_cTarc-X3.jpg

Leroy Laverman
11-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Common for you but still lovely birds. I would like to see one in real life one day. The crashing wave is an OK background and I like that it doesn't bisect the bird at all. The image as a whole looks a little dark on my screen.

Tony Whitehead
11-12-2008, 11:50 PM
This is lovely, Bob. The colours and feather detail are superb and I think the BG works really well. I like the foam clinging to the top of the legs and raised foot. Fill flash has done the job and is not at all obvious - well done.

Phil Bayley
11-13-2008, 02:30 AM
A great shot. I took the liberty to lighten it a bit.

Arthur Morris
11-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Love the COMP and the repost is an improvement.

Are you sure that the flash fired???

Axel Hildebrandt
11-13-2008, 07:15 AM
I like the pose and wave in the BG. The repost is an improvement and I might sharpen the bird a bit more.

Bob Blanchard
11-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Love the COMP and the repost is an improvement.

Are you sure that the flash fired???

Thanks Artie. Flash fire validated by EXIF, and you can see a catchlight from the flash if you look closely (he was at a bad light angle as well if I remember correctly). I probably should've turned it up just a bit more.

Thanks for the repost Phil - I'm thinking maybe a selective lightening of the bird is the way to go. I'll play with this one a bit, as I think it's a nice image.

Raymond Barlow
11-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I think this is one of the best TCH shots I have seen, and I am a fan Bob, well done... some very slight adjustments here, and I do see the effect of the flash very clearly when opened in PS.

unfortunately I had to tone this one down to 120 kb to allow for an upload.

Bob Blanchard
11-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Love your repost Raymond! Exactly what I had in mind!

Juan Aragonés
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Maybe this is a common species for you Bob but this beauties are not common for most of us living outside the states ;) Common or not common, this is a SUPERB image Bob. The mood, soft light and composition are great and that wave in the BG is the cake on the ice. Big congratulations for this artwork. Ray I love your repost:)