PDA

View Full Version : Hyacinth macaw - Pantanal - Brazil

Robert Campbell
11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Out for a stroll on my own in the earlyish morning - found this guy in a palm tree, making a lot of noise. Hyacinth macaws are on the 'danger of extinction' list, but in the right place, you can find them. I've seen as many as 100 together, feeding off palm nuts. These nuts are so hard, you can't even crack 'em with a pair of pliers, yet these macaws can crack them with their beaks. Watch out for your fingers! ;)

Settings were:

1/500 sec f/9
ISO: 400 Focal length: 400mm
Lens 100-400
No compensation
Hand-held
Mk III

I know there are bits of palm in the way, but this is the way I found the bird - and although he was keeping an eye on me, and I could move around, he was jostling for a good foothold the whole time too, which meant the focus and framing changed the whole time.

Criticisms welcome, as always - thanks for looking.

Robert

Alfred Forns
11-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi Robert they are magnificent birds.

Can give you a few guidelines which might help. Remember there are no hard rules you have to follow but these guide hold true for most images. Photographs taken at a steep angle are not going to work, busy bg will detract from the image and you need the eye sharp.

There are situations like this one in which is almost impossible to make anything but a record image. About all I can see to do here is go for more focal length and isolate. Regarding the eye try focusing on the eye then recomposing the image !!!

Gus Cobos
11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Robert,
A very nice looking bird. agree with Mr. Forns on the angle of capture, focus point and busy background...looking forward to your next one... :cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Pretty colours, I think the BG works here. I guess a little higher angle to get more eye contact? Very lovely coloured bird.