PDA

View Full Version : Portland Headlight and full moon

Grady Weed
11-12-2008, 07:53 PM
This is full frame and sized for a 12x18 print. My wife likes it a bit dark, me, a tad lighter. How about you? Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 11/12/2008 16:32:28, Shutter Speed 15Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1/3, ISO 100, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 28.0 mm. On Gitzo Tripod with Wimberley 2 Head and cable release.

john crookes
11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Nice area of maine coast.
It looks like it needs some ccr rotation and has a purple cast on my monitor
isn't 12 x 18 full frame anyways

Michael Pancier
11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I prefer darker and perhaps darker sky. Did you shoot this from the rocks? Beautiful image

Grady Weed
11-12-2008, 10:02 PM
The image was taken on the Right side of the lighthouse and on the first jut of land on the other side of the fence, you have to climb over. :D

As to the level, it was taken using a double bubble on the hot shoe, as always, dead on. Look at the tower straight up. It is some what of a illusion. The colors as true to the scene. Monitor calibrated on my end just recently. :) And I should have said "not cropped, just upsized" Sorry about that one John.

john crookes
11-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi Grady
A double bubble on the hot shoe does not gurantee that the scene will be level on ly that the center of the lens is level to the ground.If the tripod is not level also then the horizon can be off
when i snap a grid line to the horizon on this it does not stay true you can start level on the right side and by the time it reaches the edge of the lighthouse it is well below the horizon it measures out to 0.27 degrees of ccr needed to level

it is a easy check to do if your tripod does not also have a level.

also at time of photograph you can pan the horizon using just the center focos area and see if there are any changes in the horizon

John

Douglas Bolt
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi Grady,

I suspect you are making an important point, but I'm afraid I don't understand. Would you make your argument again for those a bit out of level.

BTW, I agree the image needs a bit of CCR. When I find the horizon is off a bit in spite of using a bubble, I would have attributed the need to adjust the horizon to my inaccuracy in reading the bubble. That's why I'm eager to hear your more scientific explanation.

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Grady,
I will go with Michael on the darker sky......as for rotation.....when I use the top of the screen and do a browser crop...........it is ever so slightly off.......probably less than 1/2 of a degree. I do like the starburst you got in the moon also....so darkening overall as per your wife's suggestion........may show that it was dark outside and the moon.......and not look like the sun in the brighter version.

Grady Weed
11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Roman, Would you believe I left my new $300 neutral density filter in my bag when I made this shot? So.....it is supposed to be 99% full moon tonight and the gate att he headlight is still under remodeling. So you can drive right in after dark. I hope the rain and clouds lift so I can go up.

As to level. I did have the tripod bubble level. And I double checked the hot shoe level. It really does not matter. I can re-adjust before I print. And I will. As long as my wife likes it. She is the one hanging it on the wall. But I want to thank John for pointing it out.

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Grady,

This image is a good candidate for a reverse s-curve to lower the overall contrast and open up the shadows. Is the sun still up as the light direction appears strong from the left burning out the side of the lighthouse.

Do like the starburst on the moon and the reflection in the water. I think the colors make it a bit surreal looking.

Grady Weed
11-15-2008, 06:51 PM
This the shade and color preference I like. My wife likes the darker one above.