PDA

View Full Version : Mertic's Wharf

Tom Shaffer
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Mertic?s Wharf, Swan?s Island, Maine. Camera: Ansco Speedex, 85mm Exposure not recorded, 120 Plus X scanned negative.

Alfred Forns
11-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi Tom Sure like B&W images particularly medium format

The image looks somewhat flat as presented, would increase overall contrast with a curves adjustment and then zero in for local adjustments. These images are all about tonal range and getting as much as you can !!!

Tom these B&W can also be posted in the OOTB desaturated images if you wish, will fit well there !!!

Arthur Morris
11-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Agree with Al. There are simply no blacks in the image and that is not good for B&W... Do like the COMP which caught my eye.

john crookes
11-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Love the setting but agree that some enhancement needs to be done

I opened it up in photoshop and found the white and black points adjusted the curves to match and then ran Silverefx pro on the image

Very quick and if you spend some time on the originall you would hve a winner for sure
thanks for showing
John

Roman Kurywczak
11-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Tom,
I agree with the above..........that the comp is very nice. Part of the issue with the brightness.....may be that is was close to mid day (judging by the shadows). This works very well for IR.........but not so great for a straight B&W........as you do losse some of the blacks. I would recommend using some of John's techniques.......or going into the selective color/blacks.........to bring some of them out more. This may help in the B&W conversion.

Arthur Morris
11-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks John for the re-post effort but the image still does not look good. Roman is probably correct in feeling that the original capture was wrecked by the harsh light... B & W is not my forte.

Tom Shaffer
11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Al, you are right about the contrast. I did a curves adjustment is PS and the picture came back to the contrast level of the original tif file. If I had checked the picture carefully it would have been obvious to me. I not used to reducing big tif?s to jpg?s. I should have checked the histogram. I?ll get it some day.

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 08:20 AM
My comments have been covered by the above.