PDA

View Full Version : Layers

Ed Vatza
11-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Picked up the leaves while raking at my mother's. Arranged them in my studio (OK, on black matte board on my dining room floor :)). Interested in your thoughts here.

Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens (although this is hardly macro); tripod mounted

1.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 800; +1/3 EV; Natural light (the dining room is surounded by windows :))

Julie Kenward
11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Very close to flawless. It really is. If you want me to say flawless then go in at 100% mag and clone out the few white hot spots and you got it.

The colors are great and the arrangement and comp is lovely. What KILLS me ( in a good way!) about this image, though, is the one red stem winding it's way around the yellow one. I go back to it over and over again.

I've never been a huge fan of "arranging nature" but this really works for me.

denise ippolito
11-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Ed, this is realy nice and vibrant. Love the grouping.

Stuart Frohm
11-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Ed, this is realy nice and vibrant. Love the grouping.
This is beautifully done. Thanks very much for posting it. I thought perhaps there might be a bit too much space at the top of the frame, but I decided your choice works well for me.
All best,
Stu

Mike Moats
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey Ed, like your comp and colors, but would like to see the stems included in the frame. The black BG works for me.

Gus Cobos
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Superb composition Ed. I like the black background, it makes your subject stand out. Agree with Mike about including the stems in the composition...:cool:

Ed Vatza
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback and am very pleased to see that you all like this image as much as I enjoyed making it.

I though about including the full stems but the thick yellow stem was so long that including the full stem meant moving out thereby making the leaves look smaller and, in my eyes, threw the entire composition off. (The other option was moving the leaves further to the upper left which I didn't like either.) And cutting the stem would have eliminated that neat attachment point where the stem splays a bit. Having one stem out of the frame would look like an error so I set up the composition so that all three stems come from out of the frame. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Stu Bowie
11-15-2008, 01:14 PM
The black BG make the leaves stand out nicely. I feel the stems should stay too. Well done Ed.