PDA

View Full Version : Dew-laden Damsel

John Cooper
01-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Photographed in an alpine sphagnum moss bog before sunrise.

Canon EOS 3, Canon 180mm macro, Velvia 50, 10secs at F16, Natural light, tripod.
Lots of blue light about at this time of day - just how much blue does one retain in the processed image? Comments appreciated.

Robert O'Toole
01-16-2008, 11:54 PM
HI John,

Love the image, I cant believe 10 sec! What kind of Reciprocity loss does a time like that need so 10 sec incl recip? So the origional exp was 1 sec? What did you use to calculate the Rec loss?

Digital only photographers are lucky to have avoided dealing with Reciprocity failure!!!! I hated it!

The WB here looks cool and crisp, I wouldnt change a thing.

Robert

John Cooper
01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
HI John,

Love the image, I cant believe 10 sec! What kind of Reciprocity loss does a time like that need so 10 sec incl recip? So the origional exp was 1 sec? What did you use to calculate the Rec loss?

Digital only photographers are lucky to have avoided dealing with Reciprocity failure!!!! I hated it!

The WB here looks cool and crisp, I wouldnt change a thing.

Robert

Thanks for your comments Robert. As for the reciprocity failure I used John Shaw's table - for Velvia he recommended +1/2 stop for 8 secs.

Jacqui Hendry
01-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Good morning John,

I have no idea what your talking about when you mention Reciprocity loss or Velvia.......
all I do know is that I really like this image, it is so unusual
Thank you for sharing :)

Jacqui

John Cooper
01-17-2008, 03:48 AM
Good morning John,

I have no idea what your talking about when you mention Reciprocity loss or Velvia.......
all I do know is that I really like this image, it is so unusual
Thank you for sharing :)

Jacqui

Thanks for your comments Jacqui. Reciprocity failure was a common problem with film when long exposures were used. Once you went pass a shutter speed of a few seconds you needed to add extra exposure, otherwise you ended up with an underexposed image.

Jim Caldwell
01-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Am I dating myself too much to admit I know all too well what reciprocity failure is!!?? Another fantastic image, John - you sure have some 'dewey' insects there in Australia! I really like the triangles that are formed by the insect and stick as well as the legs combined with the glassy smooth texture in the dew drops. Very nice!

Alfred Forns
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
So Sweet John !!! Fantastic Image Love everything about this image From finding the little bug to final output Big Time Congrats !!!!

Mike Moats
01-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey John, really nice image. great find and love the nice cool blue look. Well done.