PDA

View Full Version : Svalbard Rainbow

Jasper Doest
12-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Although the rainbow makes the image in this photograph, I am not all that happy with the fact that the rainbow appeared. Over the past 4 years I have seen the arctic wearther changing drastically. Svalbard used to be one of the dryest places on this planet. But due to climate change it gets more and more rain every year...melting snow and ice, melting the permafrost and releasing lots and lots of greenhouse gasses (which were stored in the arctic tundra for ages). So besides just being beautiful, this rainbow also is a clear warning signal to all of us.

I created this image from about 8 photographs that I stitched together using PanoramaFactory. To emphasize the rainbow I used a polarizer that I had to adjust with every single image in this photograph.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
Canon EF70-200/2.8L IS USM @ 70mm

Arthur Morris
12-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Stunning and quite dramatic. I am curious as to why you clipped the top of the rainbow. I would have preferred to see the whole rainbow even though the upper section is quite diffused against the sky.

Later and love, artie

Jasper Doest
12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Stunning and quite dramatic. I am curious as to why you clipped the top of the rainbow. I would have preferred to see the whole rainbow even though the upper section is quite diffused against the sky.

Later and love, artie

Hi Artie,

Actually that is one of the reasons I did it....it was so diffused against the clouds that it didn't really add to the photograph IMO. Also, I had to shoot it with my 70-200 @ 70mm or my 17-40 @ 40mm, which is quite a difference. I decided to create the panorama using my 70-200 @ 70mm as this would show the rainbow bigger in frame....but by doing that I had to make a decicion...either have the top of the rainbow in frame and lose space underneath the mountains on the right, or the other way around. I think the space at the bottom was needed to balance the composition.

Arthur Morris
12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks. I thought that that might have been the case... Keep up the great work.

later and love, artie

Maxis Gamez
12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
This is fantastic. Very well done. I wish the rainbow was there but still an incredible image.

David Kennedy
12-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Jasper,
Were the images captured horizontally? It looks like it, but correct me if I'm wrong. It's certainly wide, but not quite tall enough for my taste (for what it's worth). There's also a dark formation in the lower right hand corner, and you might consider cropping in from the right to eliminate it. That would also give you the benefit of restraining wandering eyes. It's otherwise a very dramatic landscape, but I agree that it might be even better without the rainbow.

And how on earth did you manage to use a polarizer throughout the pano? :)

Alfred Forns
12-31-2007, 05:04 PM
One stunning image Jasper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Amoruso
12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Nits mentioned. I think this works very well. An impressive view expertly captured.

Judd Patterson
01-01-2008, 12:59 AM
A stunning image. The cutoff rainbow creates a really fresh and intriguing composition for me. This scene is really captivating and magical.