PDA

View Full Version : Shark Valley Update

Robert La Follette
11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Stopped by Everglades Shark Valley NP on Monday, and the area is under a lot of water, so much so that the road that leads to the entrance is underwater. The water from Hurricane Fay three months ago is still making it's way down from Lake Ochechobee. There is very little to almost no activity at the park, although we did see the resident Tri-colored Heron and two alligators, but not much of anything else. The drive across US41 from Homestead to Marco Island is beautiful right now however, as the sawgrass is tall, green and again, lots of water around for some interesting landscapes.

-robert

Judd Patterson
11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the update Robert! I saw the high water across the entrance road a couple weeks ago...some drivers weren't sure if they could make it through or not. :)

Maxis Gamez
11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Thank you for the update Robert.

Fabs Forns
11-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Robert. I understand the Loop Road drive is closed to drivers because of high water levels. Anhinga Trail water levels are high, but some birds are starting to show up.

Judd Patterson
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Robert. I understand the Loop Road drive is closed to drivers because of high water levels. Anhinga Trail water levels are high, but some birds are starting to show up.A section of Loop Rd (Big Cypress National Preserve) is closed between the Environmental Education Center on the east and the Florida Scenic Trail on the west...for anyone considering the road, I'd recommend you enter at Monroe Station from Tamiami Trail and you can travel for quite a ways (well past Sweetwater Strand) before you'll need to consider turning around. I expect the park service to officially reopen the entire road (with some warnings for low clearance vehicles) very soon. In Everglades NP \water levels are dropping...no longer is any of the Pay-ha-okee road under water (it was across an entire lane a couple weeks ago). The dry season approacheth!!

chad anderson
11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
The dry season approacheth!![/quote]
Yes thanks Robert and Judd, I can't wait!!

capt don
11-13-2008, 08:54 PM
I go to loop road most every week. The road is mostly a mess. Unless you have a really sturdy vehicle, you will need a front end alignment at best. There has been very little wildlife out there due to the high water in the area.