PDA

View Full Version : Checkerd White Camper

Mel Phillips
01-16-2008, 10:31 PM
I discovered this gal in my front yard while retrieving my morning paper. It was about 7:30AM, late spring last year in east central Florida. I took many pictures over about 15 to 20 minutes while the dew dried. This crop shows about 75% of the original frame. I'm a long time amateur and use PS Elements 4 right now (not very adept yet at PS). All comments welcome.

Canon 20D
100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 @ 130mm
1/500 @ F10.0
ISO 200
AWB Fine JPEG
No flash, hand held

Robert O'Toole
01-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi Mel,

Beautiful image. Composition is good. Light is nice, no harsh shadows. Super job of steady handholding!

To improve the image I would remove the small smudge behind the dried bud. Then I would remove the OOF leaves along the upper right hand edge. I would use a mask but since PS Elements doesnt offer that you could clone them out maybe. It would help the image heaps since they are distracting.

Thanks for posting,

Robert

Matthew Pugh
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi
One processing aspect that it might be worth trying is to darken the mid tones a fraction, and I mean a fraction - maybe 3-5 points in levels. I think this would strengthen the brown marking of this little chap, and help give a bit of punch to the image overall
I could be wrong, but perhaps worth a try
And a pretty cool butterfly shot either way
Matthew

Mike Moats
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey Mel, you can't beat a critter shot cover with dew. Nice job on handholding, I can never pull that off. Looks great, as been mentioned just a quick clone on the upper right corner. Well done.

Mel Phillips
01-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the positive comments. I tried some cloning to remove the OOF distractions and the vertical sprig on the dead twig, then cropped slightly tighter. Also adjusted the saturation and lightened the shadows a bit. Give a look.