PDA

View Full Version : Elk Working the Meadow

Steve Canuel
11-10-2008, 02:02 AM
40D, 1-400L @ 220mm, f5.6, 1/400s, ISO 1600, +1/3 EC, Eval Mtr, tripod mount.

Alfred Forns
11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Lovely image Steve sure like the setting and pose. The dead tree in the bg is no big deal but would rather not have it in frame.

Something you might want to try is the ISO shift, I believe your camera has it? Here you could have gotten by with a little less but I'm sure there was changing light and didn't want to get caught with a low shutter speed. With the shift it will change through a pre set range so it will only go up when you need it. I do use it under certain conditions and its helpful !! One that comes to mind is pre dawn and usually keep it till the sun is out for half hour or so. Just a tool.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Steve,
A lovely image for sure. You should have captioned it as "A bull with attitude". :-)

The dead tree is not a deal breaker, s it looks like antlers. But without it, the image could have been better. I like the lovely foreground with the small flowers. Don't know what you call them.

Alfred,
I haven't mastered that auto ISO shift. But I keep on changing my ISOs very frequently. ISO 1600 for me is still a strict no. May be when I trade up my 40D, I will be able to use the ISO 1600.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Julie Kenward
11-10-2008, 01:44 PM
It's funny how people differ - I love the dead tree in the BG because I think it rather nicely echoes the curves of his antlers! Overall, I think this is a beautifully done image - nice DOF everywhere, beautiful colors, good detail. I really like that you got him talkin' up the ladies!

Grady Weed
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I like the bull, just a bit undecided about the rest.

Stephen Stephen
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice image here Steve. He's in a good position in the frame and I like the head angle. I'd love to see one of these big lads some day.

Steve Canuel
11-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I like to include the habitat in my images and left the dead tree in the BG mostly because it seemed to be pointing to the woods in the distance. Didn't notice the antler similarity until mentioned. Different perspectives is one of the reasons I post.
Alfred,
the 40D has a safety shift feature and mine is turned on but it adjusts shutter and aperature, not ISO. Since you mentioned it, I think it kicked in here as I rarely shoot my 1-400 at f5.6.