PDA

View Full Version : Roebuck Bay - Broome Australia

Jim Neiger
11-09-2008, 04:30 PM
This was made during my recent visit to Australia.
http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/POST/BRM1.jpg
Broome, WA, Australia - 1D3, 28-135mm@35mm, 1/640, F16, ISO 400, manual exposure

Roman Kurywczak
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Jim,
Those are some wild colors out there! The contrast between the reds of the land..........and the blue sky & turquoise water is very nice The light does look a bit harsh.......and IMO........a crop off the left at the dark stem of the tree.........and a bit off the bottom and top proportionally......would further emphasize the curve of the shoreline. Looks like you had a great time and looking forward to more posts!

Arthur Morris
11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I like it and might like it better with a good crop from the bottom. Were there supposed to be birds there? The colors and the C-curve are big plusses.

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Jim,

I agree that a crop is needed to remove some of the distracting stuff on the left and bottom. The shoreline's curve is the center of interest in this image as is the contrast of the red dirt and the blue water. Cropping to accentuate that will improve the image. Also try a reverse s-curve to lower contrast.

Michael Pancier
11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
can't get over the color of the soil there .... reminds me of the SW USA with ocean

Roman Kurywczak
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I like it and might like it better with a good crop from the bottom. Were there supposed to be birds there? The colors and the C-curve are big plusses.

Hi Artie,
OK.........I'm going to put you on the spot......we ask our members to describe why they "like it"........so besides the C curve............would you take an image of a bird at that time of day??? (using the shadows as a reference). Again.......I am not picking you out specifically.....but we do ask that people clarify their responses........so that we are not just like the "other" sites.

Arthur Morris
11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Roman,

re:

OK.........I'm going to put you on the spot......we ask our members to describe why they "like it"........so besides the C curve

Besides the C curve I stated that l liked the colors. Are two reasons not enough?????????????

............would you take an image of a bird at that time of day??? (using the shadows as a reference).

When you are visiting a far away land it is often necessary to work in less than ideal light, so yes.

However, do note that the light in Jim's image does not look bad at all on my monitor. Not sure what others are seeing. The sky is much more grey than blue...

Again.......I am not picking you out specifically.....but we do ask that people clarify their responses........so that we are not just like the "other" sites.

Again, if you go back and read my original post I gave one suggestion and noted the two things that I liked so not sure why you are picking on me? :confused: :confused: :confused: :) :) :) :D

Roman Kurywczak
11-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Artie,

I guess my main issue is with the light response.......

AM "When you are visiting a far away land it is often necessary to work in less than ideal light, so yes."

I guess my question shouldn't have been....."would you take the picture"........but.... Would you post it??? I often point out in this forum..... as you do in the AWF......that light/time of day ........is critical to an images success. I can not let location/distance/subject...... temper my response..........as you don't in AWF ( luckily......we don't have the HAP here! :D).

If you analyze my response..........I didn't say Jim's image "looked bad" ......but I did mention......that judging by the striaght down shadows (which you have done countless times in AWF)..........time of day was less than "ideal". Same criteria in AWF.........apllies to all the forums......light rules! In the case of Jim's image........earlier or later.......would have improved a very good comp........into something more.

You know I would be remiss if i did not point out the same things in Jim's image as I have in countless other posts............so I'm just doing the job you asked me to do :eek:!...........but I do appreciate both of you coming down and paying us a visit ;)!

Arthur Morris
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi Roman,

Not to be a pain in the rear, but..

re:

I guess my main issue is with the light response.......

Two positives and one suggestion is not what I would call a light response. Especially consider such winners as "Love it," and "Great image." Still not sure what you were trying to do or say...

AM "When you are visiting a far away land it is often necessary to work in less than ideal light, so yes."

I guess my question shouldn't have been....."would you take the picture"........but.... Would you post it??? I often point out in this forum..... as you do in the AWF......that light/time of day ........is critical to an images success. I can not let location/distance/

I try to post my best images. And some of those are made in what others would judge to be harsh light...

If you analyze my response..........I didn't say Jim's image "looked bad"

Did not say that you did.

......but I did mention......that judging by the striaght down shadows (which you have done countless times in AWF)..........time of day was less than "ideal".

Many times (including several times yesterday) I pointed out that if folks working in "harsh" light had stayed on sun angle that the results would have been much, much, much better...

Same criteria in AWF.........apllies to all the forums......light rules! In the case of Jim's image........earlier or later.......would have improved a very good comp........into something more.

Agree, but again the light could have been harsher...

You know I would be remiss if i did not point out the same things in Jim's image as I have in countless other posts............so I'm just doing the job you asked me to do :eek:!..

I am fine with that but still tyring to figure out why you busted me for two positive comments and one suggestion. I wish that I had time to write a book on each image but...

.........but I do appreciate both of you coming down and paying us a visit

Always glad to. Jim BTW never answered my Q...

Jim Neiger
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Artie,

There were few birds around when I made this image and the light was harsh, so I decided it was a good time for a few landscape shots. It was better than shooting nothing. There were not supposed to be any birds in this image. I did shoot many birds at this location earlier in the day and on other days. Unfortunately we were at the mercy of the tides which were only good when the light was harsh.