PDA

View Full Version : Wide-Angle Macro

Chris Starbuck
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Canon 20D, Sigma 10-20 at 20mm, 12mm extension tube, ISO 100, Av 1/5 sec at f/32; overcast light
ACR: adjusted white balance & exposure
PSCS2: increased contrast & saturation, cropped (~90%) for composition

This is sort of a bug's-eye view created by placing the lens inside the flower (a daylilly in my back yard). By using a wide-angle lens (32mm in 35mm-equivalent) with a short extension tube, I achieved a magnification of almost 1:2 on the stamens, which were about 1/2 inch from the front of the lens, together with a depth of field which renders other flower buds up to 6 feet away recognizable (though out of focus).

I'd really like to have your thoughts on how I can improve this.

Alfred Forns
01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Love the tech behind the image Chris Excellent detail and great feel The bold colors work very well This opens lots of possibilities !!!!

Chris Starbuck
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
The technique can be a little tricky. With such a large (relative) extension on a wide-angle lens, the total range of focus is about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in front of the lens. At the same time, a chain link fence 40 feet away will be recognizable (as I discovered while working on the series of photos that lead up to this one).

Jim Caldwell
01-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Nice image, Chris. I imagine that the short focal length lens and small aperature really contribute to the deep focus you achieved here. I use extension tubes a lot on my longer focal length lenses and you have inspired me to try it with my shorter lenses!

Robert O'Toole
01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Cool technique Chris.

The shot is good, colorful and the comp is nice. The colors do look a little flat, what did you use to increase the contrast? An S curve might help.

Robert

Mike Moats
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Chris, I like the position of the flower coming out of the corner on a diagonal. The BG adds a little contrast in colors.

Chris Starbuck
01-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Cool technique Chris.

The shot is good, colorful and the comp is nice. The colors do look a little flat, what did you use to increase the contrast? An S curve might help.

Robert

Robert,
Unfortunately, these flowers are a rather dull orange to start with, and the overcast light softens the color further. I used USM at 25/50/0, then pulled the midtone slider on a levels layer to 0.80.

Here's an update with an S curve added. I think it does help. Thanks.

Chris