PDA

View Full Version : What is the name in english?

Johannes Glännman
11-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I do not know the name of this bird in english. But it is a wild crossbreed betweeen Tetrao tetrix Tetrao urogallus

EXIF:

Nikon D300
Nikon AF-I 300/2.8 at 3.2
ISO 400
Gitzo tripod

Cheers // Johannes

Wayne Richardson
11-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Johannes

I don't think there is an English name for the Capercallie x Black Grouse cross & they are known by the German name - Racklehahn.

A bit low in the frame, but a nice capture all the same of this hybrid bird.

Cheers: Wayne

Ramon M. Casares
11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't know the name but I do know that I love this shot, the detail in those blacks is superb! Pose and head turn are great as well!ngratualtions!

Daniel Cadieux
11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Very nice! Great habitat, and perfect head turn. I also love the tail spread. I do wish for more room below. I thought the image looked somewhat washed out (see darks on the tail feathers for example) so I bumped the contrast by 10 points here. I also cloned out the dried leaves touching the lower tail feather :)

John Chardine
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Please tell why you think this is a hybrid.

Nagesh Mula
11-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Beautiful bird, like the pose and the environment around.
I agree with Daniel to leave more room or to increase the canvas and thats my only nit.

Johannes Glännman
11-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi..

I did a version with more contrast and added black and white controll points.

There is not more room on the bottom on the original image. Is there anyway to do that in Photoshop or something?

I am told that it is a hybrid by people that knows birds very much. You can see it on the colors and shape of the bird, it also sounds very strange. Almost like a pig...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/_DSC1538-2.jpg

Cheers // Johannes

Melvin Grey
11-09-2008, 06:10 AM
No Johannes, we don't have an English name for this hybrid. Both species are, unfortunately, declining in the UK and I am not aware of hybridisation having been recorded here. In fact the Capercaille was actually extinct and the small population we now have in Scotland are re-introduced birds from Sweden (thank you very much!). From the photograph the bird looks like a normal male Capercaillie except it does not have the 'bottle green' tint to the body feathers, Black Grouse tend to be blue/black. Male Caper are quite a bit larger than male Black Grouse, as you probably know. Thank you for an interesting picture.
Melvin

Wayne Richardson
11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Please tell why you think this is a hybrid.

Hi John

It must be said that, while I'm very familiar with Black Grouse, the same cannot be said for Capercallie.

However, in addition to unusual features already highlighted, this bird appears to have far more white on the under-tail coverts than the pure 'Capers' depicted in various guides. IMO the significant ID features for the hybrid option relate to white feathering on the wing & its black bill. These details are very much in evidence on Black Grouse, but not Capercallie.

Perhaps Johannes could post this in the ID forum so we could add images of the parents for comparison purposes?

Cheers: Wayne,

Johannes Glännman
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Thank you Melvin for your interesting words....

Thank you also Wayne for the explanation. I am not sure I do understand what you want me to do so please explain :)

Cheers // johannes

John Chardine
11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi John

It must be said that, while I'm very familiar with Black Grouse, the same cannot be said for Capercallie.

However, in addition to unusual features already highlighted, this bird appears to have far more white on the under-tail coverts than the pure 'Capers' depicted in various guides. IMO the significant ID features for the hybrid option relate to white feathering on the wing & its black bill. These details are very much in evidence on Black Grouse, but not Capercallie.

Perhaps Johannes could post this in the ID forum so we could add images of the parents for comparison purposes?

Cheers: Wayne,

The size difference between the two species is huge. Not sure how this would be reflected in a hybrid but initially you might think that it would be about middle-sized.