PDA

View Full Version : Prospect Harbor Maine

Michael Pancier
11-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Five image stitch using the new stitch action in Photoshop CS 4. Major improvement.

5d + 70-200 2.8L at 70mm
f/13
1/30
manual
RRS Pano head

Fabs Forns
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I think you really made good use of this trip, gorgeous light and well executed.

Dave Mills
11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Beautiful light!! I think you should crop out the water tank otherwise a pretty image

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Nice work Michael. Now I want to get home and try out the new CS4 stitching.

David Kennedy
11-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Michael,
Great light. I especially like the foreground rocks. I do feel that the scene is a bit too wide without adequate height to make the image feel like it can be "taken in" by the eyes. (I'm sure you've read comments from me before about my "golden mean" of 3:8 proportions for panos). It is a matter of personal taste. However, I do wonder if a position more to the right, to eliminate some of the vastness of the middle "third" of open water, might make it stronger compositionally, while also tightening the aspect ratio?

Robert Amoruso
11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
David,

I have seen you mention a personal preference for height to width before but this is the first time I recall seeing the actual dimensions for 3:8. Perhaps I missed this. Why not 1:2.5 which has a numerically close h/w ratio of 0.375 vs. 0.40? I have seen the 1:2.5 ratio recommended and use that as my personal guide. Thanks.

Grady Weed
11-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Michael, David and Robert,

I do not understand the ratio's, but one thing for sure, I think it is a good thing to try to understand in order to make the most of our images. Here. I think the better image might be more height, less on the far right to remove the brush or perhaps make it more noticeable in the frame. I like the idea David has of compressing the water just a bit, not too much in order not to lose the effect of far away but near. Just my two cents worth.