PDA

View Full Version : Fall Color

Lorne MacLean
01-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Just started photography. Two maple leaves in fall color against a burned log. Canon 20D, Sigma 150 macro

Mike Moats
01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Imaclean, welcome to BPN, very nice first post. I'm a huge fan of leaf images so glad you posted this. Nice contrast with the red on black. Nice sharp details. I think if you bump up the contrast that would enhance the white lines of the burn and make the texture stand out more. Well done.

Robert O'Toole
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Imaclean,

Love the color contrasts and detail. Nice composition also.

I agree with Mike a mild S curve in PS will really help make the image pop. You could also maybe do a mild sharpening with a mask on everthing but the leaf edges (to avoid halos). Both of these would take seconds in PS and make a good image even better!!
Thanks for posting,.

Robert

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Ima

Please PM Alfred Forns with your real name, we are trying to avoid nicknames. Thanks!!!

Lovely composition, leaves really stand out. Good advise given above, will be looking forward to more from you :)

Lorne MacLean
01-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Mike, thank you very much for taking the time to comment on my photo. I don't want to sound corny but you are the reason I wanted to get into photography and particularly leaf and nature images. Your work is amazing!

Robert, thank you very much for the advice and taking the time to comment.

Lorne MacLean

Jim Caldwell
01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Stunning contrast and well executed. I agree with previous posts that a little bump on the dark burnt wood background is advised, but not too much!

Matthew Pugh
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi
Going slightly against the grain of what has already been posted, I wonder if you have applied any USM to this image? As presented I find most areas slightly soft in appearance, especially that lovely looking backdrop. I personally think that this image could quite easily take some more, which would naturally increase the contrast look and give a better around crispness to the image as a whole
But suggestions aside - you are off to a super start
I hope these comment help
Matthew

Mike Moats
01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Lorne, I glad that my images inspired you, and thanks for the compliment. I'll be out in your neck of the woods at the columbia river gorge to do a macro/landscape workshop in May.