PDA

View Full Version : Lilac-breasted Roller in acacia bush

Robert Campbell
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
African bush - Lower Zambezi Valley - Zambia - June/2008

My first post - not very artistic, but there was no time to compose!

Actually, I think the genuine African bush setting with the acacia thorns doesn't do the picture any harm, though I realise that it doesn't have the classic blurred OOF background that seems to get so much praise ...

These little birds were even more beautiful in flight, with electric blue wing feathers, but really difficult to catch, especially without a 50D!

Mk III + 100-400 + 1.4x (560mm) - hand-held from a jeep - no flash
AV - AI Servo AF - Continuous
ISO 400
1/200 f/8

I wonder will I get crucified!

Robert Campbell

Gus Hallgren
11-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Robert:

How can you expect to get cruicified with such a beautiful photo of a Roller. My favourite bird of all the pictures my wife took in Kenya.

Hope to see more photos from you.

Thanks for sharing.

"Muy Hermosa."

Uncle Gus

BTW: All I would like to see is the eye sharpened with a tiny glint added. I like your BG.

Robert Campbell
11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks, Gus, for that advice. I'll try to put a little bit more life into the eye, and give it a slight sharpen. Did your wife also manage to take any Bee-Eaters? They're gorgeous - I've got a photo of a White-fronted Bee-Eater, which I'll post for you to see.

Robert

Gus Hallgren
11-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi Robert:

Love to see the Bee-eaters. I like all the animals in Africa, and would like to visit Africa, however, Gina my wife said the bumpy rides would be tough for an old guy like me (84) to handle. Also love Latin countries, and have been to Costa Rica five times in the late 80's ~ love the people.

Best regards

Uncle Gus

BTW: My wife still gets 200 hits/week on her Africa folder circa `04

Alfred Forns
11-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Big Welcome Robert !!!!

You do see lots of the bg you are describing, simple and clean but nothing wrong with yours. Actually is more difficult that the clean look. With this you need to be careful with branches coming out of the head or odd places. Need to really move inches left and right to have the bird in it optimal place.

With your combo and not a fan of using a converter on that lens, I would have taken advantage of the great ISO of your camera and gotten more shutter speed/stopping down one.

Placement wise I would like to see the bird less centered, move left a bit !! Looking forward to many more !!!

Cheryl Flory
11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
agree with moving the bird to the left in the image, and I might try cropping some off the top also. Might also try the shadows/highlights for the bright areas in the background. Beautiful bird.

Lance Peters
11-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Gorgeous bird, BG is not that bad - a tad of blur and NR on the background would help I think.
:)

Robert Campbell
11-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Thank you, Alfred, Cheryl and Lance, for viewing, and thank you very much for your input.

Alfred, the acacia bush was certainly a challenge, and I had so little time that it was probably more luck than judgement that I didn't have thorns sticking out of the Roller's head. And I agree that I should have used a higher ISO to give me a faster shutter speed, but there was so much happening, with leopards, elephants, kudu, fish eagles, martial eagles, bright clear blue sky, deep bush shadow, that when I got a chance to take the roller, fairly near, and sitting, I just went for it. Sorry, not very professional, but at least I got the little beauty!

I will try putting a little more light in the eye, moving the bird more to the left, and giving a better balance to the BG above and below the bird. Cheryl, I'd already applied Highlight/Shadow, but I didn't want to overdo it. The contrast at 10:30 in the morning did cause deep shadows. I might try isolating the LH BG, and applying Highlight/Shadow to just that portion.

Lance, I guess you reckon that if I blurred the BG a bit, it would produce more of an effect of 3D for the Roller. I'll try it, but I won't promise to incorporate it! The acacia bush is such an integral part of the African bush scenery that to me, it is part of the attraction.

Anyway, thank you all for your comments - much appreciated. I am now feeling inspired to post some more of my images!

Robert

Cheryl Flory
11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Robert, I am anxious to see more of your images! post away!