PDA

View Full Version : Panamint Range

Chris Hansen
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Taken four years ago at sunrise. This was just south of Badwater. Looking west across the valley floor (which was flooded) to the Panamint Range.

Canon 10d
Tokina 19-35 @ 19mm
F16 @ 1/15sec
ISO100
Bogen 3021 Tripod W 3055 ballhead

David Kennedy
11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi, Chris,
I really like the reflection and the composition in this image, but the color, for me, is far too pinkish/orange. I think it's possible your gray balance was fooled by some of the things going on in the water. I removed the color cast by going to Blur->Average and gray balancing off of the color that created. I then applied some curves work because the resulting image was too dark. Also, watch for dust spots (I've circled them here).

I think that this presentation, while not "perfect" (that's for you to do with the original file), is a little more pleasing: the blue was has been restored, but the whole image has a little more "punch." Your original posting felt a bit flat to me. Let me know what you think, and if you re-work your photograph, I'd love for you to share it by re-posting.

Cheers,
David

Fabs Forns
11-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Beautiful reflection and great re-post by David.

Chris Hansen
11-10-2008, 04:27 AM
David,
I like your repost of my image. I need a bit more education on my PS skills as I don't quite follow what you did even though you explained it in a fairly straightforward step by step manner. I just joined lynda.com and have been starting to go through some of the tutorials there so hopefully i will gain a bit more PS knowledge.

Thanks for showing me what can be done as it gives me something to shoot for.

Gd bless,

Chris

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Chris,

To the color balance, create a BG copy, go to Filter > Blur > Average. This averages the colors in the scene. Then create a Levels adjustment and using the midtone picker, click on anyplace in the averaged scene. This creates a color correction. Now toggle off the average BG copy and see the color balanced image.

Great composition BTW.

Chris Hansen
11-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks Robert,

Chris