PDA

View Full Version : Hiding

Mike Fuhr
11-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I took this photo in my backyard a few weeks ago. I like the result with the crop, although I wish overall the frog was sharper. That's what I get for not using my tripod in the spur of the moment..

Nikon D50
18-55mm
55mm
f/8
1/400
ISO 400

Thanks,

Mike

Arthur Morris
11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Cute subject and a good EXP but too small in the frame with harsh, filtered light (part in sun and part with deep shadows) is always an image killer... Get yourself a big white umbrella and create your own soft light by shading the subject...

Steve Berkowitz
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I like how he is small in the frame because I had to look around to find him which is the point of your composition.

steve

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Mike,

Agree that a diffuser was needed as that would have given you the soft light needed to make the image work best. I am not sure the long pano works here. I can see why you did it as the branches from the left lead to the frog. Perhaps a bit of a crop off the left is needed.

Mike Fuhr
11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the comments. My original intent was to have him somewhat hidden in the leaves because he was so difficult to see when I first found him and I really liked that. Without the pano crop, the picture was way to cluttered -- the pano helped me get closer to the original idea. I'll alter the crop and see what I get!

The light is a bit harsh -- I tried to reduce that a bit with limited success...

Robert Amoruso
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back. I was thinking about the crop and reading a post on another pano image from David Kennedy. His height to width recommendation of 3:8 is very close to what you have here. And again I think that the branches lead the eye to the frog well. On the contrast and not sure why I did not mention this before, try a reverse s-curve. That helps to reduce contrast. Curves adjustment but instead of standard s-curve reverse the control point locations to reverse the curve.

Mike Fuhr
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I will try that although I have never done that on PS. Thanks for the idea.

Mike