View Full Version : Sydney Skyline

Tom Shaffer
11-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Sydney, Australia; Minolta SRT 101, print film scanned, f;1.7 3 sec, 55mm
If there is a more appropriate place feel free to move this picture

Roman Kurywczak
11-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey Tom,
I moved it here to the travel/cityscape section.

The colors and comp are wonderful and I like the inclusion of the clouds. You have a lot of grain/noise in this image and I found I had similar issues........especially of night images.........from scanned film. You may want to run a bit of noise reduction on it.........and that should take care of it.

Alfred Forns
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Fully agree with Roman Might consider taking a little of the bottom to move the shoreline out of the middle !!! Let us know if you need help with the noise reduction !!!

Gus Cobos
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Very nice composition, I like the multi colored reflections in the water...good advice given...:cool:

Tom Shaffer
11-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Yes, I agree there is a noise problem in the sky. Unfortunitly, I made a bad decision to use print film on this trip. Any help you can offer on reducing it is welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
11-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Tom,
I used a noise reduction software called "Noise Ninja" by Picturecode. I ran it twice.........once on the sky and buildings only.......and the second time just on the sky.........it works very well for scans of film......but suggest you check it out for yourself. I do believe they have a free trial.
I also ran a bit of saturation reduction of the reds only.....as they looked a bit blown out. Let me know what you think.

Tom Shaffer
11-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Running the noise reduction twice may have been a little too much, The sky looks a little unreal. The sky in the print of this wasn't too bad if you didn't get too close. It was 9x16. I could probably do better today in CS3, I think I used Ver 6 when I did this.

Tom Shaffer
11-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Roaman, I tried making a selection of the sky and ran CS3's noise reduction filter. What a difference it made. Didn't have this option when I did the orginal scan 10 years ago.

Robert Amoruso
11-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Nice work using the NR on the image - certainly the way to go Tom.