PDA

View Full Version : Male Downy Woodpecker

Roger Williams
01-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Downy woodpeckers are one of four breeds of woodpeckers that frequent our feeding stations year-round. Image was created in June, late afternoon with natural light.

I like this image because of the position of the bird's head, including the red cap, the soft even background and the overall sharpness and color.

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT
Lens: Canon 300mm f/4L IS with 1.4x extender
I don't have data on aperature, speed or ISO
Natural light
Hand-held

roger

Steve Bein
01-16-2008, 06:30 PM
This is outstanding, but, to me needs a little sharpening since it is not a crisp image and I have no other nits.

Alfred Forns
01-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Roger Got a good one here Very pleasing bg and pose Also not high on the tree Sure wish you had the settings Just guessing but seems the shutter speed was low and caused some movement? Agree with Steve and would give it a USM pass Might want to select the head area only I like this image a lot !!!!

David Dilworth
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I like the composition and background of the photo. It would be nice to have EXIF data. I think you would have had an even crisper photo if you had used a tripod. If you didn't sharpen this photo in a program like Photoshop, I think you should give it a try. I believe you would be pleasantly surprised.

Roger Williams
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Al, I found the settings data.

ISO 800
Shutter speed 1/80th
Aperture f/5.6
Focal length 420mm

roger

Gus Cobos
03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Very nice background and colors...LOve the composition...:D