PDA

View Full Version : Motif: Mutton Snapper

Alfred Forns
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
From my Underwater days This is a mutton snapper taken with a Nikonos 111 and the 15 mm UW Nikkor For these type images is best to shoot without using the optical viewfinder, faster and get better angles. My other WA set up was with a housing and a full frame fisheye. Slide film probably RDP.... Ikellite 150 strobe.

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Oscar Zangroniz
11-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Impressive looking snapper. Would make a nice meal. Excellent details maestro.
Congrats,

denise ippolito
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Alfred, I love it . the colors and the eye . It all just looks so illuminated- I guess that's why they call you the maestro.

Desmond Chan
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
The cheek looks a bit hot on my monitor, Al. Some of the colors look odd, but I certainly don't know what they should be down there in the water :D

Gus Cobos
11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Great capture Mr. Al, I like the head turn and the illumination. This is a good eating fish...where was did taken at? Do you still have your Nikonos? I have a Nikonos V orange body, with a 35mm lens. Its a great camera...:D:cool:

Harold Davis
11-04-2008, 04:56 AM
very cool!! love that deep blue colored bg. one of my favorite colors!

Gus Hallgren
11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Super shot, especially considering you were swimming under water. I like it . . Uncle Gus

SeanKP
11-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Cool shot Alfred. I've done some digital underwater photography and it is tough. So many additional variables compared to topside photography. Super sharp and you've illuminated the eye superbly. The cheek doesn't look blown out but the strobe is reflecting quite brightly off the silver scales. Maybe that could be toned down a touch? The only other tiny nit is that, on my rubbish work monitor the tail gets a bit lost in the dark. A second strobe could have maybe helped with a more even lighting.

Cheers.

Sean

Nicki Gwynn Jones
11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Beautiful work Senor Al!! I particularly like the combination of silver and deep blue.
Regards,
Nicki

Alfred Forns
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Sean The scales of those things are like mirrors I think with the current digital technology it is possible to do better with some post processing. Coverage wise a second strobe would have given more and complete coverage ..... however I can't imagine swimming with a pair of Ike 150's !!!!

The way I used the strobe was different from the norm. It was mounted on a quick release with a short arm then I would remove and hold off camera for using. Varying the distance to the subject I would bracket my exposure. Pre set the camera to ambient ex 1/60 @ 5.6 then move the strobe back and forth to match the aperture. There were three settings for power but usually was kept in high !!! Was fun to do !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
The animal close-ups look really neat with W/A. Great ideas you are giving us Al.