PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Pondhawk (Male)

David Landers
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Canon Mark IIn
100mm Macro
f/5.0
1/640
ISO 200
Florida Botanical Garden
05Oct2008

Please fire away with comments & critiques.............as always, thanks.

David

Alfred Forns
11-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi David Moving this image to macro Will get more comments over there !!!

I like how you are trying to incorporate the Dfly with the flower. Would try a different angle to have the bug more on the green or flower, not sure if you would have been able. btw the flower crop is just perfect, sure like the placement for the flower center !!!

David Landers
11-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks Alfred......

I did not have much of an opportunity to change my angle of view. He was very spooky, and I was lucky to get him to stay put on this lily flower for a few shots. I was conscious of my background, and actually tried to get him and the bg lined up better. This was my best image. I have my eye on the Canon (or Sigma) 180mm macro, so I will be able to keep my distance and not lose the shot to a nervous subject.

thanks for the comments!

Joanna Trescott
11-06-2008, 12:53 PM
David: I really like this. The colors are wonderful, an unusual dragonfly shot. Really sharp. I like how you captured the legs. Good job!

Gail Spitler
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
David - Great to get a beautiful water lily and a tack sharp dragonfly in the same image. I might try a tighter crop, bringing the bottom edge just to the bottom of the yellow portion of the flower. It then becomes a dragonfly image and doesn't try to be both a flower image and a dragonfly image. Just a thought.
gail

Dave Mills
11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree with Gail. If you want the insect to be dominant than you would need to crop a good portion of the lily. If not the lily actually is more dominant than the insect

Stuart Frohm
11-13-2008, 06:35 AM
I admire this photograph very much and am offering an extremely picky suggestion: Please consider making the very light part of the background that's in approximately the 9 o'clock position the same green as the portion below.