PDA

View Full Version : European Eagle Owl

Krijn Trimbos
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Taken a little while back. This is a captive specimen but man, captive or wild they are absolutely amazing! A pretty straightforward shot, but I liked the addition of the rainstreaks. Do you guys mind the not completely straight look?

C & C are welcome,

Canon EOS 30D 1/160 f4 Manual
ISO 400
Canon EF300mm F2.8L USM
M490 G1325
RAW

Steve Canuel
11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Hello Krijn,
I really like this shot. The angle of the owl goes nicely with the angle of the rocky perch. I also like the streaks of rain and the way the rocks lead back and out of the frame. And of course I like the excellent colors and details in your subject. Beautiful bird. Like the comp on this but also think it would work quite well as a vertical for those wanting a closer crop. My only nit, and it's an extremely minor one, is that the bluish/purple spot between his head and the left edge of the frame (as viewed) keeps catching my attention.
Steve

Lana Hays
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Krijn
This is so well done. Wonderful setting and great pose. I especially like the way you have framed this one.....sometimes a little smaller in the frame is a nice thing. Excellent!!

Alfred Forns
11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I like it a lot and love the pose and setting Do agree with a vertical crop Sweet bird !!!!

Jerry van Dijk
11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Krijn, very neat! Great colors, especially on the eyes. I agree with the comments on the blue spots.
I look forward to see more of your owls (I know you took loads more frames on this trip), as you say, they're magnificent creatures!!
- Jerry -

James Salywoda
11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Gorgeous Shot I do think a vertical would give the great shot more impact.

Krijn Trimbos
11-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Thanks for all the lovely comments people!

I do have verticals as well, but this shot to me is mostly interesting because of the rainstreaks zooming in on the subject would result in a lot of rainstreaks being cropped out and that was the exact opposite of what I wanted here. I thought the stare into the empty space would balance this composition as well as the stone formation on the right. I do agree that a vertical crop would give this immense bird more feather detail and more impact, but again this shot has another way of being interesting to my eye because of the rainstreaks and empty space.
Taking away the purple/greyish spots in the BG is debatable, but I chose to leave them in as they don't really bother me, but again this is a matter of opinion I guess.

Thanks again for commenting, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Krijn

Fabs Forns
11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Wow, eye candy :) The subtle drops or rain add a lot to the image.

Rosl Roessner
11-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Hi Krijn,
this is a wonderful picture! The colors are so pleasing, the raindrops are great and what I really love is, where the owl is perched. It looks so natural and everythin fits so well!
Great image!