PDA

View Full Version : Sitting Pretty

Ian Gould
01-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Taken in the Masai Mara in October Canon 1D MarkIII, AV Mode, Shutter speed 400, Aperture 7.1, ISO 1250, Exposure compensation -2/3 stop.
Lens 300mm F 2.8.
The cub just sat posing under the shade of a bush.

Ian

Philippe Collard
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Cutie alert Ian! :) I like the pose and your image seems to have plenty of details - although you could post a larger version so that others can appreciate your work better.

I am a bit distracted by the moss on the rock behind the cub though, I am not sure if you could have adopted a lower view point withouth being eaten alive by the mother but that would have been worth a try - just kidding about being eaten. Also I believe the composition would be stronger if you cropped the left handside and a bit of the top.

Cheers,

Philippe.

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Ian,

yes, this requires a cuteness alert :)

I would crop some of the left since it adds nothing to the image, and if you want to keep the ratio, some off the top also.
As Philippe mentions, a lower angle would have made this better, but that's not always possible.

Alfred Forns
01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Ian Cute little guy !!! I know in this situations you cannot do much moving (unless you want to get eaten as pointed by Philippe) The stick coming out of his ear is distracting and would move away from center of frame giving a little more room at the bottom Tempted to go for a tight crop if I could not arrange the bg !!!!

Jasper Doest
01-17-2008, 03:18 AM
So cute, but also very centered! I think that if you would have placed this little cuty more to the left of the frame, you would have a much nicer photograph. IMO centered composition only work, when it really adds to the photograph. I agree with Philippe about the point of view...but in Africa you often photograph from vehicles...so it is very difficult to get lower angles.

D. Robert Franz
01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with above cropping suggestions a know how it is in Africa shooting from vehicles so it's difficult to get a pleasing lower angle on your subject. Watch for distracting BG elements coming out of your center of interest as in the tree above the head of the kitten. Position yourself if at all possible to eleminate it..