PDA

View Full Version : FL West coast (weekend recommendations)

Raul Quinones
11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I am planning to drive this weekend to the FL west coast, weather permitting, since it seems that the activity on the west coast is a better than here in the east, plus I need a change of settings.

Any recommendations? I was planning to visit Ding Darling, but I will consider nearby locations, such as Estero Lagoon, Lover Keys, ... I planning to spend all day, but I am looking for recommendations during the sunrise and then the sunset.

Thanks
Raul

Adams Serra
11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Raul, If i had to pick one location only, it would be Estero Lagoon. Personaly i prefer Estero lagoon in the afternoon. Ding Darling has been very active also with lots of Spoonbills.

Adams

Alfred Forns
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
One more option Raul is Corkscrew Male buntings showing up there !!! it is a chancy !!!

Agree with Adams on locations Estero will be more dependable but Ding has been good. Btw if you do go to Ding try Blind Pass since you need to wait for Ding to open and its just five minutes away !!!

Gavin Spooner
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Raul:

Was at Estero lagoon this morning.

long billed curlew, marbled godwit, and the usual assortment of tri-coloreds, little blues, egrets, black crowned and yellow crowned night herons.

pretty good morning.

http://www.pbase.com/wembley/image/105579189/original.jpg
cheers
gavin

Filemon Lopez
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Heading to SW Florida this weekend. Has anyone been there this week that can shed some light on activity? I am thinking Ding Darling, Little Estero.

Gavin Spooner
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Heading to SW Florida this weekend. Has anyone been there this week that can shed some light on activity? I am thinking Ding Darling, Little Estero.

Fileman:

The post above yours was taken at Little Estero Lagoon on Thursday Nov 6th.

NOTE:
The national sandcastle building contest is taking place this weekend (started yesterday) in front of the Holiday Inn. I'd expect parking to be tough (non existent at the Holiday Inn) and lots of people in the area. On the other hand it could be a good trip with some different shooting opportunities.

cheers
wembley

Gavin Spooner
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Maxis;

I have a question from an East coast photographer on a different forum.
Do you know if the Long Billed Curlew I shot yesterday at Little Estero Lagoon, is a regular right now?

Thanks
gavin

Raul Quinones
11-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Fileman:

The post above yours was taken at Little Estero Lagoon on Thursday Nov 6th.

NOTE:
The national sandcastle building contest is taking place this weekend (started yesterday) in front of the Holiday Inn. I'd expect parking to be tough (non existent at the Holiday Inn) and lots of people in the area. On the other hand it could be a good trip with some different shooting opportunities.

cheers
wembley

All thanks for the info... "The national sandcastle building contest"... I guess Estero is not an option. I was looking fwd for this trip, just my luck.

Thanks, Raul

Alfred Forns
11-09-2008, 07:25 AM
.... but on the bright side you can shoot sand castles if the bird action is slow :) Actually I don't think it will affect you much !!!!

Raul Quinones
11-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I was able to make the trip today, I visited;
Ding Darling
Blind Pass
Lovers Key
Estero Lagoon
WOW! It was slow :(

Alfred Forns
11-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry about that Raul I have always found Ding a hit and miss thing !!! Would think some of the places had birds !!!