PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe NWR (NJ) Light Issues

Ed Vatza
11-02-2008, 06:49 AM
There have got to be some Forsythe shooters out there. I was there yesterday and saw several folks with bazookas stuck out their car windows.

If you do shoot at Forsythe, I have one question. How do you deal with the light? As we head out the Wildlife Drive early in the morning, the sun right right in our face and everything off to the left and right are sidelit with very bright highlights and very deep shadows. Nowhere is that more evident than one the Egrets.

The same issues apply on the return trip on the north side. The only place the light is ok is on that short stretch on the East side. My understanding is whether in the car or outside, we must stay on the road surface which is understandable but does limit the opportunities for any better positioning.

And yes cloudy skies would have been better but yesterday's forecast for clouds turned to a reality of cloudless blue skies and bright sun. So much for 21st century meteorology. After a 120 mile drive, you play the hand you are given.

It may be several weeks before we return (the NJ North Shore is next for a visit) but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Beth Goffe
11-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Ed, I've not been to Forsythe so I can't help you there, unfortunately. Where are you planning to visit in North NJ? I'm interested in heading there, too, for some photography.

Ed Vatza
11-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Where are you planning to visit in North NJ? I'm interested in heading there, too, for some photography.

We visit Sandy Hook a lot. The other place we visit (day trips) a lot during the winter is the North Shore area which I think of as stretching from Shark River Inlet at the north end of Belmar down to the Manasquan Inlet area down in Point Pleasant. In addition to the inlets, there are a number of ponds just a block or two inland from the beach that are home to a number of wintering ducks and such. There are three in Point Pleasant, then there are Wreck Pond, Spring Lake, Lake Como, Silver Lake as you move north toward Belmar.

Also winter is a good time to visit Barnagat Light area. The inlet is home to a growing flock of Harlequin Ducks that winter there. I think Harlequins just may be the most beautiful duck out there.

Dave Woeller
11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Ed, you have hit the nail on the head for the Forsythe lighting. I have been known to use some quite colorful words to describe the light there. Morning is sidelight, evening is sidelight (except, as you said, the north/south strip) The best bet is for high overcast. Between the light, tides, and wind direction, it's a challenge. There is an outfall on the left just as you make the left turn to head north. This is a best bet spot to get soime close up herons and egrets. The drawback is you are shooting down on the bird. I need to get up to Barnegat for those Harlequins. They are a beautiful duck. I've also seen those bazzokas, and they don't seem to have a care about the sidelight. If you get to Forsythe again try this. As you head out to the wildlife drive, insead of making the right turn at the beginnig, go straight. You will pass along a pond on the left which usually has some activity. You will come to an observation tower and more ponds wrapping around the western side. Somewhere in there you should find the light in a favorable position. Ducks and bitterns were there on my last trip. Hope you did get some useful shots yesterday.

Beth Goffe
11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Ed! I'm looking forward to new subjects this season.

denise ippolito
11-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Ed, I was out to Forsythe yesterday- the lighting is certainly a challenge . Dave is right if you go straight passed the drive you can find decent light. Have you been to Conowingo Dam?I'm planning a trip this week the light is suppose to always be good there- that's what I heard.If you've been and know anything about it I'd love to hear from you.

Ed Vatza
11-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Ed, I was out to Forsythe yesterday- the lighting is certainly a challenge . Dave is right if you go straight passed the drive you can find decent light. Have you been to Conowingo Dam?I'm planning a trip this week the light is suppose to always be good there- that's what I heard.If you've been and know anything about it I'd love to hear from you.

Glad its not just me! ;) I've really got to hold out for some high clouds on the next trip. But its always so unpredictable. On my previous visit there was cloud cover out over the bay blocking the sun while there was blue sky above.

I have been in the area you and Dave have referred to on our previous trip looking for Bittern. But we didn't head up there this time.

Haven't been to Conowingo. Sorry.

Michael Lyncheski
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry for the late reply.

I usually visit Forsythe in the afternoon starting about 3-4 hours before sunset. Unless it is overcast, I limit my shooting to the first leg of the dikes photograhping out the driver's side window (the sun is to your back). The short side-trip to the left towards the first tower is usually productive as well.

Wind, dust and light are sometime challenging at Forsythe but you never leave there without a few good shots.

Regards,
Mike