PDA

View Full Version : Happy Belated Halloween

Paul Marcellini
11-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Meant to get this up last night but didn't get around to it. This was taken on a swamp walk with Judd Patterson a few weeks ago. I almost put my hand on him as it was resting on a cypress knee.

Its a tailless whip scorpion, but I forget the species name at the moment.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

20d, tamron 28-75@75mm kenko 1.4x some extension tubes as well

Julie Kenward
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Man, that is one creepy looking critter! I like your angle and choice of composition, Paul. Part of me wishes he was more distinguishable from his BG but then part of me likes that he blends in so well. (There's just no pleasing the ladies, is there?) There are a couple of brighter spots near his head and front legs that I'd suggest toning down a bit - especially that green leaf spot near the bottom frame's edge. The rest looks great!

Chris Starbuck
11-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Paul,
Good comp & light, good details. This sort of image probably wouldn't make it as "fine art", but it's a great nature story-telling picture, and as such I like it. How big is this critter? A similar image of mine, with a camouflaged spider on tree bark, got nearly the most reaction I've ever had from a competition judge -- about 5 seconds of silence followed by jerking back in his seat and "Whoa! This is great! You don't see it ... and you don't see it ... and then you see it!".

Mike Moats
11-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey Paul, cool looking critter. Good details and light.

Paul Marcellini
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, I figured it wasn't going to be a marketable image, but I just wanted to get a shot of him since I had never seen one. Then I figured it would make a good Halloween shot.

Thanks for the pointers and great story Chris.