PDA

View Full Version : Next Up: Sam

Jim Poor
01-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Sam is not homeless. He's been our grumpy little Corgi for 14 years this month.

He's paralyzed from about the mid point in his spine back. During the holidays two years ago he was running in from the back yard and his legs just quit working. He stopped looked back a little confused and got to run some more. Then they quit again and off to the vet we went. He had ups and downs for a while and then rapidly lost all control of his legs and everything else beyond his mid point.

We had a wheelchair ramp installed on the back deck and got him a little doggy wheely cart which he hated, but had to be in to walk anywhere but on carpet or grass. He would tear his back legs up sliding across cement or asphalt. His back is so weak now that he sags in the cart and can't breath well, so he does without it.

He gets carried upstairs to bed every night and gets a bath everyday for the mess associated with a total lack of control. We were afraid his most recent trip to the vet would be his last, but the vet said "His front half is healthy and he acts happy, so keep him that way."

As long as Sam wants to be here, he will be cared for as best we can. I really hope I don't have to make that decision and he just goes of old age one day not too soon.

This image was taken this afternoon in our back yard. Sam was the first subject in front of my new 200-400VR.

D300
200-400 VR @ 330mm
Natural light. ISO 200

Curves for contrast, CCW rotation and a slight crop because of the rotation.
Smart Sharpen after resize 92% 0.1 Radius

Alfred Forns
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Sam looks very much like if wants to be among the living !!!! Gorgeous face and looks like it has a great disposition

Pulling for him big time !!!!! Love you Sam !!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-16-2008, 07:31 PM
What a beautiful dog and what a beautiful image. I am a dog lover since almost birth so my heart goes out to you Jim as the care giver .Sam is obviously very much loved and the good care and the love shows in his happy face. Thanks for the wonderful image of Sam and the very touching story. We are pulling for him.