PDA

View Full Version : Maine Reflections

Michael Pancier
11-01-2008, 06:43 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2991694268_002deb986b_o.jpg

I shot this from the side of Otter Creek Road in Acadia National Park.

The reflections as you can see were intense. Again, I used the polarizer to make them pop.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D + 24-105L + polarizer
Exposure: 0.5 sec (1/2)
Aperture: f/13
Focal Length: 92 mm
ISO Speed: 125
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Kaushik Balakumar
11-01-2008, 12:49 PM
The rich colours in the reflection is very beautiful. But am not sure if I find anything else so interesting about this image :(
But that's just my opinion.

Fabs Forns
11-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Terrific colors. If this were mine, I'd crop the top part and keep only the funky reflections.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey Michael,
I looked at this for a while.........again.......can't put my finger on the exact why?.........but I do find myself liking this one as an abstract........almost Jackson Pollock painting. I did Selective color ,blacks, black slider 80%.....color adjust.....blues +20......finally local contrast adjustment of 20/50/0..........finally a slight crop from the top.......the more vibrant color and contrast in the twigs really emphasized the effect.......maybe an Orton effect would also work here. While I generally avoid twigs or other protrusions in the water.......their graphic element is what works for me best in this image.

Michael Pancier
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Michael,
I looked at this for a while.........again.......can't put my finger on the exact why?.........but I do find myself liking this one as an abstract........almost Jackson Pollock painting. I did Selective color ,blacks, black slider 80%.....color adjust.....blues +20......finally local contrast adjustment of 20/50/0..........finally a slight crop from the top.......the more vibrant color and contrast in the twigs really emphasized the effect.......maybe an Orton effect would also work here. While I generally avoid twigs or other protrusions in the water.......their graphic element is what works for me best in this image.

Orton, hadn't thought of that. thanks for the idea

Here it is

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2996132254_290fe2a27a_o.jpg

John Blumenkamp
11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi Michael... I liked how you looked at the reflections and came up with the composition you did - I like trying the same thing, and it seems you could try numerous crops, etc and not go wrong with any of them. I like the suggestion of maybe cropping the top and filing the frame with just the color/reflection in the lower portion of your original capture.

Jeffrey Sipress
11-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Very well conceived and executed.

Roman Kurywczak
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Michael,
Not sure this will work for everyone..........but it does for me!!! This is wild!!! I may have to give that effect a try!

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Michael,

I like Roman's pass on the tweaks. For my taste, cropping to just were the darker water starts on the left edge and concentrating on the colors and patterns is the way to go.