PDA

View Full Version : The Web of Life

Chris Hansen
11-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Every fall a migration of spiders occurs as the spider young launch themselves on their webs into the wind to be carried far afield. In some years like this one it leaves anything in their path festooned in webs. Shown here are the powerlines on highway 20 between the towns of Williams and Colusa in California's Sacramento Valley. This valley is also home to millions of geese and ducks that overwinter here. Roughly 44 percent of the Pacific Flyway winters here.

Alfred Forns
11-01-2008, 07:51 AM
This is one Sweet image Chris !!! Love the feel and big thanks for the explanation, had no clue !!!

Joanna Trescott
11-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Chris: Good eye to catch these webs. Are those mountains in the BG? The lighting is wonderful. Too bad you can't get up higher and do lots of experimenting with these lines and webs.

Chris Hansen
11-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Joanna,
Yes indeed those are mountains. It is the coastal range covered up by agricultural burning. The coast range goes up to a little over 6,000 feet in spots. You are right i would have loved to experiment looking at the poles from above. The lighting was very unique from the smoke. I was also limited by the traffic and no roads off the highway at that location.

God bless,

Chris

Gus Cobos
11-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Great capture Chris,
I like the old fashion feel on this one. It looks like we are going back in time. Thanks for sharing...:cool:

Julie Kenward
11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
That's amazing, Chris! Good eye and excellent image.

Robert Amoruso
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I like the idea Chris with the spider webs on the wires but w/o the explanation, one would not know. I think a different perspective was needed to better convey that idea. As far as the image posted, I like it - the mood and feel.