PDA

View Full Version : Early Plum Island visitor

Stephen Keene (Plumviewer)
10-31-2008, 08:11 PM
EOS-1D Mark III. EF600 f/4 USM IS plus EX 2 AND EX I.4. Cropped Somewhat all 4 sides. This early visitor was reported in last Saturday;s paper and has been consistently seen at Sandy point. I got perhaps better images, but I selected this one because the bird has turned its back on breaking waves. Hope folks from the north east will enjoy. Shot today at about 4 p.m.

Linda Robbins
10-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I understand that you wanted the waves behind the bird, but I think that moving your position for more frontal lighting would have been a better choice. The birds face is heavily shadowed here due to the sidelighting. The image appears soft also. I hope you will post more images of this beauty.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Lucky you, I've never seen a snowy at Plum Island. I agree with Linda's suggestions and observations, could you have moved a bit to your right?

Stephen Keene (Plumviewer)
11-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Lucky you, I've never seen a snowy at Plum Island. I agree with Linda's suggestions and observations, could you have moved a bit to your right?

I might have been able to move a bit to the right, however, as I stated I submitted the photo primarily for record purposes. Each winter, please don't say it's winter already, numerous snowys appear at Boston's Logan Airport, apparently supported by the city's rodent population. And Plum Island usually has a few each winter (resident crows and short eared owls don't greatly appreciate them). The point of my post was wow one's here really early. Surprisingly, it's been seen consistently and only at the southern end, Sandy Point, which is very sandy. Normally, they are way out in the marshes, or atop dunes in restricted areas. I saw the bird there again today. It seems to have a comfort zone of just under 100 yards. I'm content to afford the bird that, and encourage others to do that also. As to how far I could have moved to the right, well, to get the sun behind me I'd have needed a kayak or boat or would have needed to be up to my neck in Plum Island Sound. I do not wish to contest Linda's suggestions and observations. I appreciate that as a moderator she has a responsibility to teach and train observers and photographers. She's right on. I simply, as a photographer, ask that she doesn't too often "Yuck my Yum." Regards,