PDA

View Full Version : Birdscape/Cloudscape Sunset

Arthur Morris
10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
This Great Blue Heron was photographed at my favorite sunset spot near Fort DeSoto Park with the handheld 24-105mmm IS L lens at 28mm with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/4. One-Shot AF with central sensor and recompose. All comments welcome; don't be shy.

ps: The front cover of ABP II was created at this same spot.

Grady Weed
10-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I like the wispy clouds, the diagonal lines fanning out from center to the top. A lone bird at sunset has always captured the mind and eye. It gives a sense of serenity and peace. Nice image Art.

denise ippolito
10-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Artie, I love the color streaks in the sky.Very nice.

Fabs Forns
11-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Lovely cloud formation and light. I'd like the bird more to the right,really looking out of the image.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi Artie,
I like Fabs Idea of making the bill more pronounced.........or maybe ideally........looking the other way into the image..........but as we all know.......not always possible...........so as presented..........maybe a bit of slelective color work on the whites...........to tone down the brightness in the sky........but overall the comp and colors work very well for me here

Dave Mills
11-02-2008, 10:34 AM
If the bird was moved more to the right I think it would throw off the balance of the image. Ideally, to my eye. I would prefer the bird looking into the

John Blumenkamp
11-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi Artie... I don't mind the egret looking out of frame, etc, but I do like the addition of a little more canvas on the bottom.

Jeffrey Sipress
11-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Just what I like, a great landscape with wildlife in it. Great!

Arthur Morris
11-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks Jackie for the repost. I prefer the original COMP without adding anything to the repost. You need to learn to use Quick Masks as the lower right corner is a mess in the repost.

Roman wrote: "I like Fabs Idea of making the bill more pronounced.."

I agree that that is a major flaw in the image but not one that I could do much about. This was the best bill of three frames.

I did not however see where Fabs mentioned that...

As for the whites, are you talking about the slivers of over-exposed whites near the sun or the lighter parts of the sky?

Thanks all for commenting.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Artie,
I like this Image. Nice dramatic sky and colours. The bird balances this image. I guess Fabs is taking of more separation between the sun and the heron. If so, then I would agree. Do you shoot your landscapes with one shot AF while handholding?

A high impact image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Arthur Morris
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Do you shoot your landscapes with one shot AF while andholding? A high impact image. Cheers, Sabyasachi

Hi Sabya, Not to be a pain, but here is what I wrote in the original post:

"One-Shot AF with central sensor and recompose."

Does that answer your question? (Ya gotta actually read the post first :) :) :) )

Roman Kurywczak
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey Artie,
I have to give credit to Chas for this one.........as he mentioned it in another post.......Image>adjust>selective color.......Whites.........blacks moved to 100%.........did it twice. It is subtle.....especially in the jpeg re-post........but you may want to try it. Pretty cool how it just did the lighter areas......well at least i thought it worked well! Let me know what you think.

Arthur Morris
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Artie,
I have to give credit to Chas for this one.........as he mentioned it in another post.......Image>adjust>selective color.......Whites.........blacks moved to 100%.........did it twice. It is subtle.....especially in the jpeg re-post........but you may want to try it. Pretty cool how it just did the lighter areas......well at least i thought it worked well! Let me know what you think.

The difference is subtle but I see it and like it. As for adding blacks to the whites in Selective Color I have been teaching that for years in Bulletins, in Digital Basics, in ABP II (I think...), and most notably at a seminar that I did last year in NJ for some big group :) :) :)

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I will back Artie up on Selective Color as I learned that from him in 2004.

Artie, I like this but for me the sky begs to be even more dramatic. I did a curves adjustment to bring out the drama and a gradient mask to limit the affect to the sky. Gradient mask in the nest thread.

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Gradient mask on the curves adjustment for the above repost.