PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Leaves #6

Ed Vatza
10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
OK, one more. I was taken by the similarity of shape between the yellow leaf and the red leaf. And I set this up so that the yellow leaf runs off the canvas to the left and the red to the right. Curious what you think of this composition.

Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens; Velbon Tripod

1/6 sec @ f/11; ISO 1600; -1/3 EV

Julie Kenward
10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
I like your composition, Ed. I think the red leaf is a bit too dark, though...it really feels 'heavy' compared to the green and yellow. (Does that even make sense?) I think I'd love this more if it had a bright, vibrant red instead of a deep burgandy version.

Also...not sure if it was intentional, but the red stem from the yellow leaf is sticking out next to the red stem of the red leaf and it looks a little odd. Perhaps a clone is in order?

Stuart Frohm
10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Nice work! I like the photo in general and the burgundy leaf's color in particular. Agreeing with the point in Ms. Kenward's second paragraph: If I were creating a composition and not capturing a natural scene, I'd probably snip off that burgundy stem. (I don't mean the burgundy leaf's main stem.)

denise ippolito
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Ed, I like how you thought to put the leaves out of canvas . I like the crop as well. I'm not crazy about the pleat in green leaf as everything else is so straight. I think it pulls my eye from your careful placement of top leaves. But I do like the overall picture.

Chris Starbuck
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Ed,
I like this one; your idea of pushing the two leaves out of frame in opposite directions works for me. I do agree with the others' comments on the yellow leaf's stem. I'm curious as to whether you shot this with the yellow and red leaves reversed (yellow on top)?

Kaushik Balakumar
11-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Ed,
Liked ur idea here. Wish u'd chosen a 'complete' leaf without the cut edges (especially the red leaf). Also feel that the yellow leaf cud be darkened a wee bit. Just my thoughts...

Mike Moats
11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Hey Ed, I think the white balance looks better on this image than the others, but I like the comp on the others better as this looks to composed. Nice details.