PDA

View Full Version : CS4 - 50D CR2 - WinXP file lock problem

Chris Starbuck
10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Just got my 50D yesterday, and am having a problem with Photoshop/Bridge CS4 and the 50D's CR2 files. Doesn't happen with my 20D's CR2 files, only the 50D's.

If Bridge has looked at (not necessarily even opened) 50D CR2 files, such as previewing a folder containing the files, the CR2 files cannot be deleted until the PC has been restarted. (The jpegs can be deleted.) Bridge can't delete them, and even after exiting Bridge, Windows Explorer can't delete them. Copies of the file (even named "copy of ...") can't be deleted. Another file with the same name in a different folder, even on a different drive, can't be deleted. I actually created an empty text file in new folder and changed the name to _MG_0001.CR2 (one of the locked files in a different folder) -- can't delete it! Until a restart, Windows thinks the files are in use by another application or user (there is no other user on my PC).

After a restart, Windows Explorer can then delete the file(s).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Grady Weed
10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
When you installed Bridge, did you ask it to, or did it ask you, to associate the cr2 files with Bridge? If you did, then un-install the program and then re-start the PC, then re-install the errant program, re-start the PC, then open you CR2's and all should be OK. I have been a PC Tech for some 18 years now. Windows has always had this issue. Software writers by default will want you to use their software to open all files.

Always do a custom install and you choose which files to be associated with each program.

Robert O'Toole
10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Chris,

Do you have the update RAW plugin for the 50D installed? sorry I had to ask...Do you have ACR 5.0 or 5.1?

Hope you get that one figured out :-O

Robert

Chris Starbuck
10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
First, after another reboot, the system seems to be behaving itself (at least for now).:confused:

Robert: I have the ACR 5.1 update.

Grady: Aha! Now I know who to bug with weird PC problems!:D When I installed the CS4 upgrade (from CS2) I don't recall it asking me about which file types it should "own". It certainly didn't ask about assigning any to Bridge rather than Photoshop. I think it mostly just inherited the CS2 settings, but not all. A few days ago I double-clicked a file in Win Explorer (I've forgotten which type) and CS2 opened even though a CS4 icon was displayed. At that point I opened Explorer's Tools > Folder Options > File Types dialog, and manually went through every type (including CR2) that was or should have been associated with Photoshop CS4, and made sure that they were. No image file types are associated with Bridge (any version); they're all associated with Photoshop CS4. If this problem rears its ugly head again, I'll take your recommendation to unintall Bridge CS4, restart, reinstall, restart. BTW, I always select "custom install"; I hate installations that do things behind my back (and they all do anyway:p).

Chris Starbuck
11-02-2008, 04:39 PM
An update. The problem not only recurred within a day, it got worse. Couldn't delete or move the 50D CR2 files even after rebooting.

Today I uninstalled CS4, CS2, CS -- still couldn't delete or move the files. Uninstalled Canon DPP, no change. Dug around in the Windows registry and found references to CR2 attached to the Windows RAW Viewer for XP. Uninstalled that, and everything is fine. Reinstalled CS4, and all is still good. Once again, the problem was Microsoft.

Grady Weed
11-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Nothong like a poorly written MS product to brighten up your day. I knew it had to be a program written to own the file and then not releasing it for other programs to use. Glad you got it going.

Paul Granone
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Do you have the Microsoft RAW viewer application enabled that allows you to view RAW images in XP ?
That program would cause the problem you describe.