PDA

View Full Version : Re-Post of Portland Headlight

Grady Weed
10-30-2008, 06:49 AM
As I stated in my last post, the light was tricky at the lighthouse that morning and it looked right in the LCD, but on the computer it was not so. So I tweaked it once again to see what others may like or not like. I find myself going to the same spots and getting the same light, well almost the same light. :)

So I going to strive for different vantage points, heights, perhaps off of a 8ft step ladder on the mound for some up high perspective, etc. There is also a hole in the rocks by the far right fence that is open at low tide for a few minutes. That might be something to explore.

Same specs as the last one, just tweaked with curves a bit more, cropped some sky off of the top and is now a 11x17 print to emphasize the waters colors more..

Michael Pancier
10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm not that gutsy, but there is a way to get down on the rocks. I saw a photographer with a 4x5 on the rocks below way to the right of the second vantagepoint. Looked like a great spot, but I'm not too keen on rock climbing.

I love the sunrise light on this shot. I wish I had to time to shoot it in the morning as well.

Arthur Morris
10-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Missed this spot but it looks as if one way to make a great image in light like this would be to get 40 feet higher and point the camera down so that the horizon line is on the upper third... That plus some really big waves.

Grady Weed
10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Art, If you only knew how much I would like to do that! :) I am thinking seriously of taking a 8 foot double sided step ladder and anchoring myself on top of it to get a higher perspective. Anything for a diferent look. Thanks for the comment.

Arthur Morris
10-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Just to confirm: you need to get higher because the base of the buildings are pretty much obscured...

Grady Weed
10-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I see what you mean now. Good point to keep in mind. Thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
11-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Hey Grady and Artie,
While I agree with the higher perspective.........even an 8 foot ladder won't give it too you........maybe a 30 foot boom lift........but I highly doubt they will let you get that in there.........no higher elevations artie from that vantage point...........and truth be told..........the base of the buildings isn't that nice with the chain link fence.......now I've been lower......there are a few reflective pools down there at low tide.........very slippery.....but pretty cool.........but this eliminates what I like best in the image....which is the silky water........no time today (son's 14th b-day party)...........but I'm going to try and work on the original post and see what I can come up with to make the sky darker/more dramatic. I like the rocks and buildings in this one........but liked the water and sky better in the original post.

Roman Kurywczak
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Grady,
Here's the re-post with what I did........I lightened the rocks and lighthouse using a layer with screen blend mode. Then I did a darkening of the sky using a multiplied layer. Slight adjustments in selective color of whites/neutrals/ & blacks........got the final product. There are probably 100 ways to get here.........so let me know if this is more like what you saw. I'm not sure in PS 6.......but this was in CS2. PM me and I will try to give you more specifics.
Let me know your thoughts.

PS Forgot to mention the crop.

Robert Amoruso
11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I like what Roman did on the repost Grady.