PDA

View Full Version : Pelican from St Pete Pier

John Tillard
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM
I thought this was a neat picture of this pelican scratching his chin. This was taken at St Petersburg Pier this past Sunday. Your C&C as always are appreciated.

John

Canon D30 ISO 200 1/1250 f5.6 EF 70-200 2.8L 150mm

Jackie Schuknecht
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Great pose and exposure John. Might just try to lighten the shadow on the beak a bit. Great behavioural shot. Very nice!

Gus Cobos
10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi John,
I like the composition, ideally the pelican's bill should not be covered by the pillar. Its best to wait until he moves his bill out in the open. You have good details in the feathers. The black background in the upper portion of the frame is a bit distracting; my eyes keep going there...a made a few adjustments to enhance your image and illustrate my point...I lightened the blacks on top, and blurred it to blend in better.. I opened up the blacks in the pelican's feathers and opened up the eye. In addition, I burned in the hot spots on the piller; and sprinkled selective sharpening to the eye area and along the contour of the wings. I boosted saturation and contrast just a tad, to give it an added punch...see if you like...:cool:

Lance Peters
10-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Ditto what Gus said - and the repost is a improvement.

:)

Gus Hallgren
10-30-2008, 02:26 AM
A crazy idea:eek:

Uncle Gus

Nonda Surratt
10-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Well why not a crazy idea.:)

Super detail, everything else covered

Alfred Forns
10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Guys the main thing here is the pelicans head angle !!!! You really need to have that eye parallel to really make them work !!!

While making the image do pay attention to the bg, sometimes moving up a little the distracting area could be avoided I like how you waited for the bird to do something before pushing the shutter !!!! Could also have considered going at it wide open to blur the bg Those 2.8 are neat lenses !!!!