PDA

View Full Version : North Shore (NJ) Birds

Ed Vatza
10-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Anyone out there hit the North Shore ponds (Belmar, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Point Pleasant) yet this year? Anything interesting happening there yet? Anything in the inlets (Shark River, Manasquan)? Its probably just a touch early yet but I thought I'd ask.

denise ippolito
11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Ed, I am from that area. I was at Lake Como yesterday, Ruddy ducks,a few Mute Swans,some gulls and mallards-oh ya cormorrants. I don't go to the inlets .What do you usually find at the inlets?

Ed Vatza
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Love those North Shore ponds. We usually start in Point Pleasant and Manasquan Inlet and work our way north to Belmar and Shark River Inlet with a stop for lunch at Rod's in Sea Girt or Who's on Third in Spring Lake.

Manasquan Inlet is good for wintering loons, some ducks, grebes, purple sandpipers and such. Shark River is a crap shoot. Sometimes there are loons, grebes and such in the inlet and other times, nothing. I will say that for the past two years there has been a small flock of snow buntings wintering in the dune grasses on the Belmar side of SRI.

But I love to hit Wreck Pond. Spring Lake, Lake Como. Silver Lake (my favorite) as well as the ponds in PP.

denise ippolito
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll have to check out manasquan inlet. I usually go there for sunset shots.

Roman Kurywczak
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Denise and Ed,
Let me know if you are planning a trip down there..........mot to far from me (well, at least closer than Ed)......so I'll try and meet you down there for early am or late pm photography.

denise ippolito
11-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Roman , I live close to Manasquan so if you or Ed want to go shoot around here let me know I'll meet you.

Ed Vatza
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I was seriously thinking about stopping down this morning but we changed our mind and headed to Peace Valley here in PA. We are thinking of next weekend - weather permitting. The drill will probably be Manasquan Inlet to Lake Louise to Little Silver Lake to Lake of the Lilies all in Point Pleasant then to Sea Girt/Spring Lake for lunch before hitting Wreck Pond, Spring Lake, Lake Como and Silver Lake. We end up at Shark River Inlet. We have often hit all of them in one trip. Depends on what we find to shoot along the way. If all else fails, there's always Sea Girt Lighthouse.

Any updates from this week would be greatly appreciated.

denise ippolito
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Ed, Went out yesterday to Spring Lake- Windy, alot of Mallards and Canadian Geese, some cormorrants 1 Mute Swan in back pond .Went to manasquan inlet this morning -Gulls and mallards. Lake Como- pond ducks, cormorrants another type of duck too far out to see ,Gulls and 3 Mute Swans. Smithville-Great White Fronted Geese ,Mallards and common pond ducks Hope this helps, suppose to get cold by end of week

Ed Vatza
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Ed, Went out yesterday to Spring Lake- Windy, alot of Mallards and Canadian Geese, some cormorrants 1 Mute Swan in back pond .Went to manasquan inlet this morning -Gulls and mallards. Lake Como- pond ducks, cormorrants another type of duck too far out to see ,Gulls and 3 Mute Swans. Smithville-Great White Fronted Geese ,Mallards and common pond ducks Hope this helps, suppose to get cold by end of week

Thanks Denise. Doesn't sound like much going on yet. Still a day on the North Shore is better than a day stuck here in Pennsylvania. So we may still stop over on the weekend - weather permitting, of course. If not the North Shore, maybe Forsythe down in Brigantine.

Hey since you're a local maybe you can help us out. Since last winter, my wife and I have gone vegetarian. So I'm not sure Rod's in Sea Girt or Who's on Third in Spring Lake will continue to meet our lunchtime needs. Any places down that way that you are familiar with that are open during the off season and might be good for vegetarian repast?

denise ippolito
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Ed, If you come on a Saturday-The Beanery in Point Pleasant serves some vegetarian dishes they are closed on Sundays and are located close to the intersection of Arnold Ave. and Bay Ave.I know that there are a few vegetarian restaurants in Red Bank. Downtown Manasquan has the Broadway Grill- They use to make a good Veggie burger. Slim pickins' around here.

Dave Woeller
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi guys, My wife and I spent some time at Forsythe this past Saturday (before the monsoon hit :D). The place was loaded with Brant. They were coming in in waves. Also saw hooded mergansers and bufflehead, and mallards. Also saw few cormorrant and just a couple herons. There were no terns to be seen on that day. Hope you all have good shooting this weekend. By the way Ed where in Barnegat are you finding the Harlequins? Barnegat is not that much farther up the road for me.

Ed Vatza
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Ed, If you come on a Saturday-The Beanery in Point Pleasant serves some vegetarian dishes they are closed on Sundays and are located close to the intersection of Arnold Ave. and Bay Ave.I know that there are a few vegetarian restaurants in Red Bank. Downtown Manasquan has the Broadway Grill- They use to make a good Veggie burger. Slim pickins' around here.

Thanks for the tips. Somewhere along the line, we'll come on a Saturday and when we do, we'll try The Beanery.

denise ippolito
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Dave, I saw Brants there last week. Did not see Hooded Mergansers-would love to get a shot of one of those. Where were they hanging out? Was it toward end of drive near bend?

Ed Vatza
11-11-2008, 09:04 PM
By the way Ed where in Barnegat are you finding the Harlequins? Barnegat is not that much farther up the road for me.

Get on to LBI and hang a left. Follow the main road to the north until it ends at Barngat Lighthouse which is at the inlet. The jetty run out along the inlet from the lighthouse. Harlequins can be found anywhere along the jetty but most often farther out off of the rocks and past the nice paved walkway part of the jetty. But it is a little early in the season for the Harlequins. When you go there, be careful. The jetty can be very slippery particularly on cold damp mornings. I took a nasty fall there last year. Save the camera/lens/tripod but banged up my knees pretty good.

Dave Woeller
11-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Denise, The brant were on the first leg of the drive not too far past the first observation tower. They were in the channel on the right hand (or passenger ) side of the drive. The mergansers were on the last leg of the drive as you head back toward the mainland. Again they were on the passenger side of the car or north side of the road. Hope you can get some good shots.

Ed, Thanks for the information, and I'm glad you were not injured or damaged your equipment. Boy some of the things we do to get these shots!!! Have you ever stopped by the Forsythe refuge walkway and deck on Bay Avenue in Barnegat? We stumbled onto it a while back. Not great for photography, and there was no activity the day we were there. Maybe we just hit a bad day.

denise ippolito
01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
North Shore Ponds-( Lake Como) I was there yesterday I saw- 1 Belted Kingfisher,several Hooded Mergansers, loads of Canadian Geese, several Mallards & Ruddy Ducks and an asst. of Gulls and Cormorants
Manasquan Reservoir - I was there today and saw-Mallards,Canadian Geese, Ruddy Ducks,Hooded Mergansers, Bluejays, Northern Cardinals, Nuthatches and Woodpeckers, 2Hawks,1Belted Kingfisher and 2 Mute Swans along w/ an asst. of Gulls ,crows and pigeons!

Ed Vatza
01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Denise,

I am assuming that those North Shore ponds are all pretty well frozen over. Are you aware of any open open spots where the ducks might congregate? I remember finding such on Como and one or two other lakes in years past. I am contemplating a trip on Saturday. That is if we decide on Longwood Gardens on Sunday. :)

denise ippolito
01-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Ed, What do you see at Longwood Gardens this time of year? I've never been.

Lake Como had some clear spots last week,so did alot of the other ponds-but this week has been cold and windy at the shore and I haven't been out there since. I probably won't get out there myself till Sunday.

Ed Vatza
01-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Ed, What do you see at Longwood Gardens this time of year? I've never been.

Lake Como had some clear spots last week,so did alot of the other ponds-but this week has been cold and windy at the shore and I haven't been out there since. I probably won't get out there myself till Sunday.

Thanks, Denise. Not sure what we'll do tomorrow. Sandy Hook is a possibility as is a trip down to Barnegat Light. I haven't had a chance to photograph the Harlequins yet this year. And I understand there are a number of Oldsquaw coming in pretty close to the jetty. With the bit of a warm up, I would hope the jetties won't be icy.

Longwood Gardens has an indoor conservatory that has flowers year around. Their spring orchid exhibit begins tomorrow and runs through March something, I think. Anita is the Longwood Gardens expert. She goes there regularly.

denise ippolito
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Ed, Just took a ride over to Lake Como for you to check it out. Almost all frozen w/ a few open spots on N.E. side- I saw 100's of Gulls and Canadian Geese w/ a handful of Mallards-nothing else. Heard it's suppose to get very cold Sunday. Thanks for the tip on Longwood Gardens.

Ed Vatza
01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks Denise. Really appreciate you taking a look at the lakes. I've been chatting with my wife and think we will head over to Sandy Hook instead.

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey Ed,
Just got back from Barnegat Light Jetty. Plenty of longtails, mergansers, loons, harlequins, and Brandts as well as other little plovers. Went all the way down the jetty......90% free of ice. Windy as usual there so a good 20 degrees colder than my house but mercifully wind & sun was at my back.

Dave Mills
01-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Denise....This time of year at Longwood is in the indoor conservatory which is interesting. As was stated the best area(for my taste) is in the center section of the conserv where they have an orchid room and only blooming orchids from their collection are exhibited. Farther in, they have a room of Bromeliads(which I used to collect) which can be interesting depending on whats in bloom.
The place really shines in mid spring thru the summer....

denise ippolito
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Dave, Sounds great-I think I'll wait till spring!

Art Peslak
02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
For anyone interested, there was snowy owl on the dunes on tuesday at shark river inlet in Belmar.

Yesterday the lakes in Belmar had Eurasion widgeon, american widgeon, canvasback, northern shovelers, black duck, mallards geese, belted kingfisher, black crowned night heron.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update, Art!