PDA

View Full Version : Catching Some Rays

Julie Kenward
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I saw this leaf deep in the woods last week lying on a downed limb. The sun was barely making it's way through all the foliage but one ray managed to hit the bright red leaf and it caught my attention. I didn't realize I'd missed the DOF on the lower part of the log until I did the shadows adjustment. Oh well...it's always something!

Canon 40D
f7.1 @ 1/40th, ISO 400
Handheld, natural light
Manual mode, Pattern metering
Processed in ACR & CS4. Small crop, shadow & vibrance adjustments, small amount of burning and dodging to highlight what was already there.

Robert O'Toole
10-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I like the idea and the comp and the elements are all nice. But isnt this posted upside down?

The natural light is coming from the bottom.. :-O

Robert

Julie Kenward
10-29-2008, 08:59 PM
My bad, Robert...I had to go back and look as I knew I flipped it but thought it was just a horizontal flip and not a vertical one. Yup, you're right...I got flip happy!

Mike Moats
10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Good eye Robert I didn't even notice the light angles. Nice colorful and lit leaf Jules. You have aready noted the DOF, and agree with you.

Ed Vatza
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Jules,

You gotta love it when that one ray of sunlight shines through and on to you subject. It makes for an interesting effect. I like the concept here. And the background is really nice. As you pointed out, it would have been better had the entire background been in focus.