PDA

View Full Version : Where do you sign on fine art prints?

Sabyasachi Patra
10-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Do you sign on your prints? How? Where? What kind of ink you use?

I was not into prints, but on demand started selling 20"x30" and 24"x36" prints. It was so tough on me to sign on my beautiful tiger. Typically how do you price your 20"x30" prints. Hope I didn't ask too many questions.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Doug West
10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I actually sign on both my print and mat. This way if my mat is removed later in life, my signature still
exists on the print. Normally on the print I'll have that one light spot where I can sign so my sig is
obvious, yet unobtrusive.

I do use a special type of pen, but for life of me, I can't find it now.

As far as price, I base it on location and the audience. For example, if I'm selling at a festival,
I'll knock my prices down a little since people generally don't carry that much money around.

Doug

Paul Marcellini
10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm still figuring out prices but I sign with Sakura Gelly Roll pens. I had read somewhere online that they are archival and they seem to work well even on glossy prints. I usually sign with a copper one that is just like a darker gold, or silver in the lower corners of the print.

john crookes
11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I sign al prints in an unobtrusive area with a Pigma Micron pen that is graphite based .

Musuems insist that graphite is the only true way not to alter the underlying image

there are some pigment based pens out there but they have not been tested by leading archival authorities to the point where they are accepted by those orginizations

Ansel adams always signed his prints with an old number 2 pencil

Pencil = graphite

John

david cramer
11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
In the past, I have had "archival" pens show fading over time. So I switched and my standard 11X14 is signed with a 3H graphite pencil on the cotton mat overlaying the print. On some larger prints with fancier matting, I'll sign on the print image (or just below the print for a limited edition) with a Wacom tablet through Photoshop. Each digital signature is unique that way, and printed with archival ink along with the image.

Pricing is something that is likely to be unique to your specific market. I'd suggest doing some comparison shopping, or discussing with gallery owners how they price similar photographs.