PDA

View Full Version : Racetrack- Death Valley- my current favorite image

Steve Bein
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
The Racetrack is an awsome place. We only had one dusk and morning, then drove out over Lippencot Pass ( roughh4x4 road when the brake lind broke) Anyway, I really like this shot. The tracks are very interesting. This one has an S curve fading in the background.
This was my first trip with the 40D
Sigma 12-24@12mm
0.6 sec, f/18
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -2
ISO: 200

Michael Pancier
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
that's fantastic. I wanted to scope it out but even though I was in a 4x4 rental, it did not have truck tires and I did not want to get stuck out there in case my tires went. I can see it was well worth it for you.

D. Robert Franz
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Fantastic image Steve.. Seems a bit dark on my monitor but could just be me..

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the darker elements of the image brought up in brightness some. Otherwise I like the composition. Very well scene.

Steve Bein
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
The scene was darker than it shows. I chose to try to show detail and keep it in the same dark mood. Lightning the image is not a problem, but the drama would be diminished, I think.
As far as getting there, we saw people with passenger cars. YOu will vibrate your butt off, though. I have driven a lot of desert roads and this was the worst washboard road I have driven. My vehicle was a testosterone type Jeep Cherokee with a 4" lift and 33 agressive mud terrain tires. Also, we continued on over the Lippencot Pass and that required four wheel drive. My Jeep has lockers, so it could do better, but they were not functioning at the time. Also, in the middle of the pass, which is pretty rugged, but not killer aspect, the brake line broke, leaving me with slight braking when my foot was on the floor and 50 miles to the nearest mechanic, which I did SLOWLY.
Here is the image lightened. What do you think?

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Steve,

I like both versions and thanks for posting the new one above. You are right, the mood changes and which one is correct is ultimately the one that the photographer feels conveys his interpretation of the scene.

Thanks for posting the new version as this interaction helps us all to learn.

David Kennedy
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I would probably advocate a blend of both versions: the lightened foreground and the darker sky (well, you might selectively lighten it, but either way, try to avoid the burnout evidenced in the second version.

Guillermo Luis Cozzo
01-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Steve, I was just to say the same as David...I think that DND is the best choice in this situation. I love the sky of the first version, but the foreground of second version is stronger....so, DND, blending both images can work for me....

Congratulations for this beautiful pic.
Best Regards
Guillermo

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Steve,

Blending the two images seems to be the ticket. Your composition here is exquisite :)

Geurt Bloem
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Well done here and my fav is the darker one.