PDA

View Full Version : Data retrieval in Elements? or other?

Hazel Grant
10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Right now when I download photos from camera (Nikon D40X) into computer, they open in the Elements organizer. This works very well except the data (iso, f stops, etc) do not show up, so that information is lost unless I remember to write it down for each photo as I review it in the camera. I know there must be a way for Elements to keep this information (0r) there must be some other download program I can use so that when I click on a photo, that info comes up on screen, but I am stumped. Suggestions? Thanks.

Ian McHenry
10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Hazel
As another Elements user I will be interested in reply.
Personally my SLR downloads go to Picasa 3 and data is retained unless a large amount of editing is done.
Retain originals of acceptable images with EXIF data.
Ian Mc

Richard Stern
11-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I don't like downloading files from the camera into any particular program. I prefer to have control myself. So every month I create a new folder on the HD (e.g. Oct. 08) and d/l into that, before I open up Elements (or Lightroom, or iPhoto). If I decide to open the files in Elements I import them from the folder on the HD, and all the exif data is retained. A couple of points - where are you looking for the data in Elements? It's in File -> File info -> Advanced -> Exif properties (at least in my version, Elememnts 6 for Mac). The other is that if you use Save for Web, the exif data disappears, but if you save for the web by re-sizing the image then using the Save as command, it is retained (don't know why).

Richard

Hazel Grant
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks so much! My next thing to work out is how to keep Elements from automatically opening up and downloading the photos. What I do now is put the USB cord into my camera and into the port on my computer. When I turn the camera on, it automatically opens up Elements and downloads into the Organizer. I'm still new at this Elements thing so I'm not sure how to download into a folder. If you can tell me quickly, thanks. Don't want to take up too much of your time. Thanks!

Richard Stern
11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi,

Go to File -> Photo downloader, and turn off the option to automatically do what you're currently doing. Works for me.

Richard