PDA

View Full Version : Sinking In Mud

Mike Moats
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Found this leaf in a swamp as it was be sucked down into the mud.

Fuji S3, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, Natural Light, F32

Chris Starbuck
10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Mike,
I always enjoy your images - comp is perfect, as is the lighting angle - really brings out the vein details.

BTW I'm about 3/4 into your book, and really appreciate the explanations of the natural conditions that produce the scenes, where and what you look for, and your thought processes on composing the images.

denise ippolito
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Mike I really like the colors and textures going on . Very nice.

Mike Moats
10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey Chris, I'm glad you like the concept of the book. There are enough books on technical issues and not enough on composition and the thought process that goes into finding and composing an image. Everyone gets caught up in all the camera techs and buying the newest, fastest, biggest mega pixel, fix all my problems cameras and photoshop programs, and loses site of the most important part, learning about subject matter, where to find it and how to compose it properly. The equipment we have at our disposal is already good enough now we need to go out and find something cool to shoot and do a nice job presenting it.

Ed Vatza
10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Hey Mike,

I just read about this compositional approach somewhere this past weekend. :D;)

But if the leaf is being sucked down into the mud, why isn't the photographer??? :confused:

Excellent composition and lighting. I also really like the "mudshine" on the leaf. And the veins just set off the entire image perfectly. Very well done, Mike.

Joanna Trescott
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Mike: Very nice composition. The lighting and colors are stunning. How did the tripod hold up in the muck?

Julie Kenward
10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Another beautiful image, Mike. For some reason, this tight crop bothers me a little bit but I'm not sure why as I usually like a tight crop. Maybe it's because the colors are so cool together that I want to see more?

Robert O'Toole
10-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Mike,

Like the colors the light and the shapes but the image seems soft and not up to your normal sharpness standard. Looks like a processing issue maybe..

Robert

Dave Mills
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Good eye Mike...most people would walk around that and just keep going. It goes to show that one doesn't have to travel all over the world to get fresh and interesting images....they can be anywhere!