PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Riverway

Cindy Cone
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Another one from the Moab area - my new favorite place! This was a little later in the morning - is the light beginning to get too harsh?

Canon 40D, 1/250, f/18, 17-40 mm at 17 mm.

Thanks for looking.

Michael Pancier
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I can see why this is your new favorite place. Great sky. Is this near Arches NP?

Robert Amoruso
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Cindy,

I like the comp and the right BG mesa balances the image out well.

I suggest a reverse s-curve to loweer contrast and then a Shadows/Highlights correction just to add midtone contrast as I describe here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434.

Dave Mills
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Very nice comp. The rock wall leads you right out to a beautiful sky. I also like the reflections in the water. In this case the light doesn't appear harsh to my eye.

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey Cincy,
By now.......most of you realize that I love the crop tool :D........maybe it's the old slide mounts or something......IMO the sky could benefit from Robert's suggestion and you should explore them.........all I am presenting is an alternative crop possibility. Let me know if you like it.

Cindy Cone
10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Michael - this is just north of Moab and south of Arches on Potash Road.

I like Roman's crop, and I'll work on Robert's fixes next.

Joanna Trescott
10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Roman's crop is my favorite. It really accentuates the sky and rocks. Cindy - I, too, love this area. The warm colors are everywhere. Did you take any shots of the petroglyphs on Potash Road?

Cindy Cone
10-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Joanna,

Yes, I did get some petroglyph images. In fact, this one was on the other side of the road from one of the petroglyph panels. I was in the Moab area for about a week, but it wasn't nearly enough time to see and photograph everything I wanted to.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Lovely. I would agree with Robert's suggestion. I would definitely reduce the contrast a bit. Agree with Roman's crop idea as well. I am sure you had a wonderful time there. In such kind of places, a week seems too short. Thanks for sharing.