PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning at Hesperus

Tom Shaffer
10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Taken at San Juan National Forest of Hesperus Peak while the sun was still behind the peak. Camera Canon XTi, 1/2000 @ f:5.6 ISO 200 80mm

Robert Amoruso
10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Great use of atmosphere and layers to add depth to the image. The tree on the left - I would prefer to see more of it or not to see it. On the right, on the top of the first peak is a far-off tree clipped. I did a repost where I cloned the little clipped tree on the right. I also cloned out some of the lower branches of the left tree to accommodate a crop. When I crop from the left to the tree's edge, it left a distance peak to close to the edge. I also cropped some sky out.

In PS, I amp'ed up the contrast with a curves adjustment, on a BG copy I did a Shadows/Highlights (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) correction to open up the shadows and added +20% midtone contrast with the Midtone slider.

I also did a Local Contrast Enhancement (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) using USM 20/50/0 settings.

Roman Kurywczak
10-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey Tom,
I like your layers in the image and I think Robert brought them out even further with his adjustments. I like the crop as it definitely accentuates the range nicely. I might even go back in and try to bring out the mid layer mtn. to tweak it evn further. If you aren't into the clone outs.......a crop would still work........but not as effectively IMO as Robert's corrections.

Cindy Cone
10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Wonderful image, Tom. I really like the layers, and Robert's corrections were helpful.

Tom Shaffer
10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Gentlemen: I didn]t consider tiny tree on the right to be a problem because when printed it will be covered by the matte. I printed this on Epson Enhanced Matte paper as a 12x18 with my Epson 4800 printer and liked the result. I was in the Artist in Residence program at San Juan NF in 2007 and this is the picture selected by the park people to be my contribution to the program. Your changes are interesting but totally change the mood of the picture. We all have our individual views.

Roman Kurywczak
10-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey Tom,
I want to remind you that you posted for the web....not print.....so the tree is problmatic....glad the print turned out OK though and I didn't realize when you posted.........we were judging a print....and by the way...were we supposed to give our credentials??? I would ask....... What were the credentials of the "park people"..........who selected this image??? ....Must have been more than NANPA tier 1 winner....(also other NANPA selections...check this year)......NWF image of the week finalist...(also HM's)........pictures hung in the Smithsonian.....(courtesy of Nature's Best ).......tour workshop leaders....etc. etc. etc.......so we are were totally wrong in our assesment of your image.........which BTW........we both liked "very much"......but felt could use some PP adjustments as presented for the "web".

Glad you appreciate "individual views" ......if it wasn't for them......who know how the judges for the SWNF may have reacted???

Dave Mills
10-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Tom just a small piece of advice. When your image is posted here it is critiqued. The unpaid moderators take away from their personal time to try and assist folks in what they feel will make their images stronger technically. These folks are also credentialed and generally have alot of experience in the areas they moderate. If you don't agree with them...thats perfectly OK but there was a defensive tone in your comment that really wasn't necessary. You can accept or reject their critiques at your pleasure.
I, for one feel this is an excellent forum to get the shared views from other photographers on the technical aspects of an image. It's a valuable resource for the novice as well as the more experienced photographer. I've been an avid photographer for many years and know alot of the lessons that are discussed here but I still learn tips and techniques that I wasn't aware of.
By the way, I happen to like your image.

Joanna Trescott
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Tom: Really nice layers. I prefer the repost -- it seems cleaner to me. Congratulations on getting this shot picked.