PDA

View Full Version : On The Surface

Julie Kenward
10-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow. The light reflecting off the lake tonight was gorgeous! The ducks couldn't have been better, coming in close and hanging out - hoping for a handout. It was the best evening photo session I've had in months.

Put this gal in PS and did the normal levels/curves adjustments. Added an Orton effect and lightened the opacity by about half. Did another levels adjustment and almost stopped there. At the last minute I went into filter/render/light effects and chose a spotlight placed just behind the bird to add a bit more drama.

I'd kiss this duck if I could just get close enough! :D:eek::D

denise ippolito
10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Very Nice Julie - I like the effect really softens the feel!

Fabs Forns
10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Very beautiful. I don't think I like the darker left, though. the color of the water is sooo beautiful...

Alfred Forns
10-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Love that water Jules Would put the quacker on the UL corner. Also with the water as gorgeous as it is would like seeing it on the left side (not as dark) Love the mood!!!

Joanna Trescott
10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Nice effect, Jules, but a little dark for my taste. I think Alfred had a great idea to lighten it up a bit. Maytbe try a vertical crop to accentuate the lighter water??

Julie Kenward
10-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, this was surprising! I really loved the drama of the original but you all seem to think it is too dark. I went back to the image before I added the lighting effect and did a simple burn around the left edges, leaving more of the water in the light.

Al, I really can't figure out why you'd want to see the bird in the ULC...that would put him almost out of the frame. I thought we were supposed to leave space for the bird to swim into? Did you mean the URC instead?

Anyway, here's a repost. I like both versions but I'm still favoring the original just because I love the drama of it.