PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Leaves #4

Ed Vatza
10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Another from the Autumn Leaves series. Instead of raking the backyard leaves, I hand picked through them and brought a selection inside to create autumnal compositions and images.

Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens; Tripod-mounted

1/15 sec at f/11; ISO 1600; +2/3 EV

Bruce Murden
10-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Nice alternative to real work! I like the choice of leaves and colors here, and the angles.

For slight improvement, I'd like to see a little more of the yellow leaf on the bottom, and as a little nit to pick, the two little triangles of BG leaf (one on middle left edge, one on top edge near left) could be a bit larger (smaller probably doesn't give as good a shape to the leaf), or in otherwords zooming out a touch for more of the missing frame.

Overall, a lovely fall comp!

Robert O'Toole
10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice Ed, the light is nice and soft and the colors are good.

For me this is almost an abstract, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of the leaf, I agree with Bruce.

Also the image looks darkish on the top half.

Robert

denise ippolito
10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Ed, I like the bold color choice and your vision on this!

Chris Starbuck
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Ed,
I'm really enjoying your Autumn Leaves series. All well-composed with great color & details.

Julie Kenward
10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Agree with the others about the specifics but I do love the overall composition. It's nice to see you back in Macro again!

Ed Vatza
10-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Bruce, Robert, Denise, Chris, Julie,

Thanks you all for your critiques. They are always much appreciated and provide food for thought.

Actually I have more leaf at the bottom, I just chose to crop it up from the bottom - maybe a bit too far. So its not even adding canvas, it would just be to go back to the original image and re-crop.

And Robert, I too see it as a bit of an abstract but I must say that I am taken by the background areas. Reminds me of Lake Michigan for some reason. Do you agree, Mike? :)

Jules, I really enjoy macro/close-up/flora but I also love doing bird photography. I was working on that way before I started with the macro stuff (only been doing macro for about 8 months), I spoke to Artie over the weekend (I called to order a BLUBB). And I told him that I am hoping the folks over on "Birds" can help me develop the way Mike, Robert, you (and others) on Macro all helped bring me along here. I still have lots to learn everywhere.

The problem now is that days are short so I don't get out on weeknights when I was doing a lot of my macro/flora work. And this time of year, we do a lot of trips to the Jersey shore for shorebirds, wintering ducks and such on weekends. So I'll be bouncing back and forth between Macro and Birds this time of year.

Mike Moats
10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Ed, your on the the right track, good contrasting subject. I like the diagonal positioning. Well done.

Ed Vatza
10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey Ed, your on the the right track, good contrasting subject. I like the diagonal positioning. Well done.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate the feedback.