PDA

View Full Version : Early December visit - SE where to go?

Jeff Nadler
10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi all,

I am visiting family once again in the W Palm Beach area. Limiting day trips to 1.5 hours one way, I've always visited either Viera Wetlands/Click Ponds or Wako/Green Cay. Surely never visiting dozens of other options. I'd like to fit in a day for either of these two desired bird subjects. The car as blind is preferred. Wintering ducks - any place better than driving along the Click ponds/Viera? Cooper's and Sharp-shinned hawks - probably hit or miss and odds of great shots without decoys limited but any reliable place for these two? Thanks.

Maxis Gamez
10-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Jeff,

I would also check Loxahatchee. December should be good for the places already mentioned.

Good luck!

Judd Patterson
10-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I've heard of some good Accipiter activity at Green Cay in recent weeks. Let me know as you get ready to head down here and I'll give you an update on Everglades NP...just too early to tell how things will be in December, but last year the peak activity for the entire winter/spring was in December (but that is unusual). Any other target species Jeff?

Jeff Nadler
10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Any other target species Jeff?

I know that timing is probably off on these, but targeted species overall include least bittern, Henslow's sparrow (wintering in Florida?), peregrine falcon, great horned owl, and barred owl.

Judd Patterson
10-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Least Bittern are here in December but they tend to lie low until the breeding season later in the spring. I've never heard of a Henslow's wintering down this way. Based on the CBC maps it looks like the only decent spot for those guys in December is up along the Gulf Coast (Mississippi, Alabama, FL panhandle). You'll have a much better chance with your other targets, but I can't provide any leads yet. Check back in with us!